Lookin' into a new pup, would love to rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeaHead

Boxer Pal
So, for about 6months now I have been really contemplating getting another dog. I have known since I got Nea I wanted to get another and this time I want to rescue for sure. She, like many other boxers, would LOVE to have a friend and adores other dogs! She just turned 2years in Feb so I would hate to wait too much longer. She is full of energy and we go to the dog park frequently. I do live in a two bedroom apartment, but it is large and with the amount of exercising and running that Nea gets I feel like it would be just fine with the two dogs and I at home. She is a petite boxer weighing only 45-50lbs so she's a small little lady which works out just perfectly for me being a small woman. :) Any suggestions on how to begin the process or where I can start looking? I read a thread on people having two boxers/other breeds at home and it made me happy to know that the success rate is quite high! Any thoughts are great!

Althea

Completely Boxer Crazy
Check with your local boxer club/dog club, or just do a google search for rescues. Many of them use petfinder.com, but I'd recommend making contact with them first. You can also start checking your local humane society for boxers as well, as often they get them there. Another place to check is craigslist. Can't tell you how many boxers I've seen listed there, taken into home who didn't understand the breed and how big and how much energy they have. grrr....okay, different rant.

Best of luck!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
There are several in your state......just do a search! Many have owner surrenders due to the economy.

Also consider checking the shelters too! Many rescues are full to the brim. Since they are full, no potential fosters, they can't pull them. The worst part of this process is something many don't know or realize can happen:

When stray dogs are brought into a shelter, there is a "Hold" period by law that the dog must stay for the owners to be found. If the shelter is full and an owner brings in their family dog, there is no room for him. There is no "hold" law or period. So guess what happens to the dog? He is put to sleep for lack of room.

Crazy to think that these great pets, well trained, socialized and very well loved have to give their lives to make room for those in dire need. Fair? Absolutely not. It's a sad day.

So bless you for wanting to save a pet in need of a good home. Remember to keep your eye on owner surrenders in shelters, as well as, those rescues that are full. The quicker we can help the rescues the quicker they can pull those on the PTS lists.

NeaHead

Boxer Pal
Arizona

Thank you for your replies, I will def. be taking a look into the local recues! I just want my little lady to be just as happy with the new addition as I will! :) I'm thinking perhaps a male would be a good route to go. I hear there tend to be more issues with adopting a new female into the home can cause problems. I'm not sure really, I'm trying to do as much research as possible before making a decision. Just as I did before I got Nea. I like to be sure I'm making the right decision for both parties. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.