1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lizards

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by lindawg, May 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindawg

lindawg Boxer Buddy

Does anyone have a bearded dragon? I love mine. He is soooo cool. It is my first lizard and I read up on the bearded dragon. I knew this would be perfect for my first lizard. I might, in the distant future, get a chameleon.
    Linda

2. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

I don't have a beardy but I have an Iguana!:) He's soooo cute. He's about 7 months old (I've had him for about 2 months) and weighed in at 3 oz at the vet. One of my Boxers got ahold of him a few weeks ago :( ...we've been trying to keep him from doing too much climbing so his injured leg can heel. He's been doing much better this past week. I've been researching the idea of getting a monkey and at first thought it would be a good idea to build one very large enclosure to house the monkey and Ig together seeing as how they both pretty much live in trees...after further investigation I found that capuchins eat small lizards.:eek: Not a good idea after all...even after Jade reaches 5' I would still be too scared to keep him w/ a monkey.

3. lindawg

lindawg Boxer Buddy

I wanted an iguana at first, but my husband saw how big they get:eek: I would love to have a BIG lizard hanging out. Rocky is not bothered by Little T (my beardy.) It is my cat that I am worried about.

4. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Yikes! Becareful there too, someone was telling me about their cat eating their 2 baby igs...it might have been someone on this board. Anyone remember? While researching ig's I found that they are at the bottom of the food chain (as w/ most lizards I'm sure) and pretty much are in danger around any other animal. I don't know much about bearded dragons...do they spend most of their time in trees like ig's?

5. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Linda, while not pets, we share our land here with quite a few Beardies, Frilly Necks and Goanna's and assorted other Lizards, Skinks and Geckos. There is a farily large population of the Dragon's here :)

Sharon

6. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Once "Little T" turns into "Big T", it'll be the cat who'd better watch out!!! I used to have "Rex", a 4.5 foot long iguana, and he loved to intimidate my cats - luring them close, and then whipping them with his tail. He was such a character!!! I eventually sold him for pennies to a good home, where he'd get more attention.

I've always thought bearded dragons looked like they'd be even more fun than an iguana.

7. Boxerworld

Boxerworld BW owner Staff Member

I used to own two crocodiles, one alligator and one big lizard named "varan du nil" in French (I don't know the English name, the latin name is varanus niloticus - you can see some pictures of varans at http://www.pompano.net/~sevi/nile/photo.htm).
    They were great animals. One of the crocodiles could even be considered as a pet (he came when I called him). I am attaching a picture of him when he was a baby.

Olly

8. wtcnudo

wtcnudo Boxer Pal

We do not have a bearded dragon but are hoping to get one after our move across country. However, we do have a Veiled Chameleon. They are very hard to have as pets. This is our first one and we have done great with him so far. A friend of our has had 3 that have died within the first 6 months and he has had much more experience with reptiles than we have had. My suggestion, get a male. Females get egg bound and will die much earliler than males. We have had our Chameleon for 1 & 1/2 years and he is the best pet ever. He likes to sit on my head a I walk around the house. They are very fragile so if you get one please take very good care of it. Ours has a routine: in the morning he gets his powder coated crickets and gets sprayed down with water, afternoon another spray down and in the evening one of us either watches him for 20 minutes or takes him out for a romp around the house and he also gets another spray down.

9. lindawg

lindawg Boxer Buddy

Thanks for your advice. I knew how difficult they are to keep that is why I went for the bearded dragon first. I do not want to hurt them or "kill" them. I worked as a vet tech through my college years and you would see individuals who would go out and get a lizard without getting the proper equipment. They would get a baby chameleon and just put it in a aquarium without the proper lighting or vitamins. Bearded dragons are hardy. They need desert conditions to thrive. Mine gets the dusted crickets also. Now every other day, I will put the crickets in my spare room and he will run aroung like a mad man trying to catch them. I still feel in the future I will get a chameleon.

Linda

10. wtcnudo

wtcnudo Boxer Pal

Putting crickets in a room and letting the Bearded Dragon catch them is a great idea. My cat enjoys catching and eating crickets more than my Chameleon. If one gets out while I am preparing my Chameleon's food, he catches it, tortures it and then eats it :eek:

I believe the reason that my friend's Chameleon's died is because of the conditions before he bought them. 1. They were not well, or 2. They were inbred (sp). I believe he has just had some bad luck with breaders. We were very lucky to have gotten one that has thrived so well.

I would certainly get a Chameleon as they are incredibly sweet just like Bearded Dragons are.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.