Living alone with your boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spankee

Boxer Pal
I'll be moving in February for a good job opportunity about a 100 miles from where I'm at now. I've been reading non stop the last few weeks about boxers, and decided it is now all but a must to have one. Moving to a new place and not knowing anyone, someone has to have a friend of sorts to survive I think. I've always had dogs since I was born, and haven't ever been without one. I'm looking for a companion; a best friend if u will, and am wondering if you all think this is a good choice. I will have a house, a yard, and all the love in the world in my new home, what do you think?

DebbieW

Boxer Booster
I think a boxer is always a wonderful choice! THey're such a great dog! You may want to consider adopting an adult from a rescue ...if you are going to be working during the day, you may find it hard to train a new puppy.

Bail's mommy

Super Boxer
OMG - yes yes yes and yes!!!!!!! As I'm sure hundreds of others will respond - boxers are really terrific dogs. Actually terrific doesn't even begin to describe them. I too lived alone for awhile with Bailey - and not only was he and is he my absolute best friend (besides DF of course ;) ), but he is the biggest conversation starter!! Literally people will stop me in the street to ask questions, pet him, chit chat. It's great. People I didn't even know would stop me in the local store where I used to live and ask me if I was the one who owned that white boxer!!! So I vote YES!! It's a great way to meet people! Do your research, figure out if you want a puppy or a rescue (or a rescued puppy ;) ), do some more research, and get a boxer!!

daziegirl4

Boxer Booster
Best Decision Ever!

I love my little girl and will never be without a boxer! She is our first one and we just love her to pieces. She is so much fun - what a personality on these dogs!!

My husband and I had just gotten married and just moved into our new house together...he left really early in the morning and I was a little nervous being home alone (after all, it's in the woods in PA and we're from New York!). We decided to get Sydney and I can honestly say that it was the BEST decision ever. And to believe that I had to talk him into a boxer! (he tells me all the time though what a good pick!) She just comforts me. She knows that when we're there alone, she's like my little watch dog....and she comes out from her "bedroom" and checks on me ever couple minutes. She comes downstairs with me even to just walk right back up the stairs....she lays in bed with me when my husband is working late and seriously cuddles EVERY chance she gets. There are a million things that she does that are just great...the "woo woo" noise in the morning to go out...the butt wag when she sees us....the pretzel dance....the "running around the house outside at full speed like 3 times for no reason".... she is the smartest dog I've ever had - she knows what "cheese" is compared to her "bone" or "ball". She adores my nephews and niece....loves to play....she is just such a kid at heart!

Honestly - having a boxer in your family is so rewarding!!! You will be so happy!!!!!!! If you love to laugh, I would definitely suggest a boxer :)

Spankee

Boxer Pal
I will be the manager of the place I'm going, so scheduling some off time for my baby shouldn't be too much of a problem I don't think. I usually go on a jog in the morning before work, and a walk in the evening. I'll probably go home for 30 min to an hour for a lunch break.

Anna Begins

Completely Boxer Crazy
They really do help you meet people- everyone in my complex knows me because of Luka. If I didn't have him, I'm sure no one would notice me LOL
It is also not so lonely- I am single and moved 60 mi away from my family a year ago, got Luka a few months after the move. I can't imagine what it'd be like without him! We are a team and do almost everything together. Of course, it's got me thinking- what happens when I find someone :LOL: I don't think we'd have near the relationship if I had a BF.

kody's mom

Boxer Booster
Yes!!! Kody has really became my bestest friend!! There are days that I dont know what I would do without him by my side.
You may want to check into doggie daycare there though if you are working long hours, I would hate to leave a young puppy in the crate for too long!!
Cant wait to hear what you decide!!

Do it! Do it! Do it!! I am a single girl and I have !!3!! boxers at home. They are the best friends I could ever ask for, I really love them more than anything. They keep me company, but also, I'm not going to lie and say that I don't enjoy knowing that nobody will mess with my house; my neighbors are scared of my sweet little babies. Boxers really are great companion pets; they are a lot more "people oriented" (as some dogs would rather be around other dogs) than a lot of breeds.

Also, I'm sure wherever you are going has a boxer rescue. They are a great alternative to getting a puppy - they will usually come housebroken, spayed or neutered and leash trained! ;)

knjsBailey

Super Boxer
If you want an instant best friend look no farther. I also live alone but not far from friends like you will be. I know I made the right choice with a boxer. More than any other breed I have had, Bailey is a true companion. There is nothing better than when I am home at night with just Bailey. She throws me off the couch and I sit close to her on the floor and she will just rest a paw on me or rest her whole body against my back. Just make sure you can get a good petsitter or day care being that you will not be able to have friends or family stop by to let her out while you are at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.