1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Lift Off" Weekend Was Great!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xenaprincess, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xenaprincess

xenaprincess Boxer Insane

This weekend just past was our city's annual "Lift Off", which is a celebration of summer! It's called Lift Off because there are several hot air balloons that lift off from the park where the celebration is held. The balloons are beautiful and it is something to see when they are lifting off! Unfortunately, I didn't have the spare $150 it cost for a ride in one!! :eek: There was free outdoor concerts each night (not entirely free...$10 for a button to get in for the whole weekend...VERY reasonable!!). On Thursday night we saw Lover Boy...awesome concert...great sound...good band! Friday night was Colin James!! He was GREAT, not to mention still yummy looking!! The park was packed for him!! Then Saturday night was Alanna Miles. I am not a huge fan of hers..one or 2 songs that I like. She was boring!! I couldn't wait for it to be over actually because the boredom was killing me!! I also found her to be quite rude. She picked on her drummer a lot and told everyone he was fired because he wants to sleep with her and she doesn't sleep with her "employees...or fans for that matter". She was rough looking as well, but still has that cool raspy voice...just her songs that sucked! The best part of her show was when it was over (lol!!) and during her last song (Lover Of Mine), the city put on a GREAT fireworks show over the river!
    There was so many people in our town this weekend for this event. There was an amusement park, endless entertainment and even a "Cornwall Idol" competition that was packed with talent!! Also, unfortunately, with these events comes the "Beer Garden", which can be a GREAT thing on a hot day, but it so attracts many nuts from all walks of life, and by early evening you have people staggering all over acting like idiots and vomiting behind trees or in garbage pails...very gross indeed and really takes the "family" quality out of the whole event! Going into the concert area I was stopped by a police officer and was asked to open my backpack so he can check it for booze! I obliged..nothing to hide. However, as he is going through my stuff, one guy falls down beside us in a drunken stupor, laughing and cursing his head, off but completely ignored by the police. An acquaintance of mine staggered by barely able to walk, pulling a wagon behind her with a cooler, blanket and lawn chairs...and her 3yr old daughter!! :( Again, the police did not take notice. I had one officer going through my backpack and 3 officers standing with us watching him! So my sarcastic mouth opens up and I say "So..being drunk in a public place IS tolerable as long as you pay the City for the booze in THEIR booze tent..right?? Officer #1 says nothing. I NEED a reaction so I say "instead of being so concerned with the bug spray, blanket and ice tea that I'm bringing in, maybe you should concern yourselves with the drunks that are leaving with booze in one hand and car keys in the other...or is drunk driving acceptable during Lift Off celebrations because the city is sponsoring the Beer Tent and raking in a huge profit??"! One officer told me that their hands will be full later with drunk drivers and that they are aware and watching. Is it just me or does anyone else find that redundant? Why create the opportunity for potential danger? Yes...I HATE drunk drivers!!
    All in all, it was a great weekend. It's sad to see these weekends come to an end because it also indicates that summer will be coming to an end soon. Looking forward to next year's Lift Off and anxiously awaiting to see what the concert line-up will be. Bands that have performed here in the last 3yrs...Kim Mitchel, April Wine, Trooper, David Wilcox and Blue Rodeo!! Fantastic Canadian entertainers! cool2icon

2. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

Sounds like fun except for the drunks. Our state road dept stated that nothing will be done wwith a dangerous intersection unless there is loss of life. They don't base needs on loss of property. I know I've personally called 911 for at least a dozen wrecks at the intersection in front of our store in the passed 12 months alone. Someone will have to die before the intersection gets blocked off or a light goes up. I guess your police "friends" were waiting for someone to get hurt before doing something about the problem..........arrrggghhh! Politics and beaurocrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.