1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leesha's Story

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Leesha'sMum, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leesha'sMum

Leesha'sMum Boxer Booster

My husband and I have always wanted a Boxer and loved the breed. We read as much info as we could about the breed before we decided that a Boxer was what we wanted for our family.

When we were ready to get our new addition we definitely wanted a puppy. We checked numerous breeders and I just happened to come across a rescue site one day while searching. I read all the info on the site and checked out the dogs available. There was a 6 month old puppy that we were interested in, so we filled out the application form and sent it in.

A lady from the BRO called me a couple of days later to follow up on the application and she just mentioned that there were some older dogs that really needed a good home and since it was our first Boxer with 2 smaller children an older dog would maybe be a better choice. She had an older 6 yr old female that had just came into foster care and was good with kids, loved people and just needed a nice family to take care of her.

So, we decided to go visit her. She was at a foster home in Oshawa, Ontario. We arrived at the foster home and went into meet Leesha. It was love at first site right from the beginning. She was in the living room in her basket because her front right paw was all bandaged from a very bad infection that she had in the pad of her paw. The pad part had broken open and the inside was ghastly her foster mom had told us. She had been chained up in the garage of her previous owner's home 24 hours a day and never let inside only when she was to have her puppies. She did not look like she had any kind of veterinary care ever.

She also had 16 stitches behind her right ear where she had been attacked by a cat or something. Her fur was dull and dirty and she had alot of scabs and bite like marks on her legs from the attack. She just came over to my husband and I and sat by us the whole time that we were visiting and she really didn't want us to go. She had to stay a few more weeks at the foster home because she was under the vet's car for her injuries and on antibiotics. Plus, she had recently been spayed by the vet. The vet said that from the scars on her ovaries that she had had at least 4 or 5 litters of pups and he figured that the owner just thought that she was too old for breeding and just didn't want her anymore.

We left the foster home that day knowing that Leesha was definitely the Boxer for us and with a great feeling that we were giving this older gal a better life for the rest of her years. We knew that the puppy would find a good home also, but that it was just destiny for Leesha and our family to be brought together.

She has thanked us in many many ways and even though she's now 8, she still thinks that she is a puppy and gives us countless hours of laughter and love. We can't imagine our family without her.

Sorry for such a long story!

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the lovely story. Leesha is a very lucky girl.

3. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

I have tears of happiness running down my face that this poor baby has finally found a home that will give her the love and attention that she so deserves. I wonder why, and I wonder this every breathing moment, people feel the need to get an animal and then totally ignore it or abuse it. A pet is here for such a short time compared to our years and that poor pet's life is only as good as the owner lets it be. Animals deserve better then to be tied in a dark, dreary garage with no attention and used as a breeding machine. Thanks so much for choosing the older female over the puppy, she will reward you for that decision with her unconditional love till the day she dies.

4. TracyandSam

TracyandSam Completely Boxer Crazy

That is a heartwarming story! She is a very lucky girl. Very pretty too!

5. luvroxy

luvroxy Banned

Leesha is beautiful and I know she is so thankful to you for giving her the life she deserves. Great story.

6. crashsmom

crashsmom Boxer Booster

I'm happy to hear that Leesha now has a happy home. appicon She sounds like a great girl.

7. marciafinn

marciafinn Boxer Insane

So happy to hear that Leesha has finally found the home she deserves! Thanks for sharing! :) Give that sweet girl a kiss from Mason and me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.