1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leeks....Toxic for dogs?

Discussion in 'RAW Feeding' started by Sandy Paws, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandy Paws

Sandy Paws Boxer Buddy

I was wondering if anybody could help me on whether or not leeks are toxic for dogs. I know that onions are bad for dogs and leeks are part of the onion family, but I have never seen or read anything that specifically says leeks are toxic for dogs. Can anybody help out?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I have not seen anything that specifically says so either. On the other hand, I'm not sure why I'd want to feed my dogs leeks anyway ;) So in my case at least, it becomes a moot point.

Having said that, whilst leeks are a member of the onion family, I believe they're a weak member (much as garlic is). In small quantities, I would not expect them to do a great deal of harm. As such, I wouldn't panic unduly if my dog happened to eat some, but at the same time, wouldn't deliberately feed them either (unlike garlic, I'm not aware of any particular properties of leeks that are desirable either - so don't see any point in giving them).

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Retracting the above - it seems they may well be on the toxic list. The ASPCA lists one form of leek : ASPCA | Leek
    Technically, that is not the vegetable variety that I think you mean, but the edible leek IS a variant subspecies of this plant. Therefore, better to avoid, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.