Leather Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyBear

Boxer Booster
So we're thinking about buying leather furniture to replace the sectional we have now. I'm wondering how leather would withstand the roughness of our dogs. They don't chew the furniture but they play and are allowed to sleep or nap on them. So my concern is would the leather tear easily? I'd like something that would be easier to clean vs the fabric cushions we now have. I constantly remove the cushion covers and wash them so they are so loosing they're shape. Luke sheds ALOT and it seems no matter how many throws or quilts I put on the seats, they still end up smelling like Luke and Lily! Not to mention the slobber and fur.....

Anyone have better luck with leather furniture?

djheitz

Boxer Insane
I don't think I'll ever even consider buying anything else. It's easy to clean, tough under constant use and still looks good after almost 10 years. Just make sure you buy higher quality leather. If it's too thin or too soft, it won't hold up as well.
DH was concerned about it getting too hot during the summer. The chairs in our family room are fabric, so he has the option to avoid the leather stuff if he wants to. We keep blankets on all of our furniture so that hasn't been an issue.

boxmom

Boxer Insane
Our leather furniture has held up great with our boxers. I love that the fur does not cling to it I want to say our couch is atleast 10 years old and not one tear. The one section where Lucy sits does show some signs of nail scratches, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 10 year old couch. I think I will only buy leather from now on.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
With leather it really is you get what you pay for. When we got our leather sofa we ordered it and one of the choices we had to make was how thick we wanted the leather. we of course went with a thicker leather. I also did scratch testing on the leathers. I found an inconspictuous spot and ran my finger nail across the leather. I figured if my finger nail could scatch it my dogs nails would ruin it.

Since we spent so much on the sofa my husband has declared that dogs aren't allowed on it. So far I have pretty much stuck to that rule. From the few times they have been up tho', there hasn't been the slightest mark. And Arabella has jumped up on several occassions with a lot of gusto after spotting a squirrle outside.

And as you know boxer drool can land anywhere in house. That has been real easy to wipe right off. I just use some leather cleaner.

My sofa is just 2 yrs old, but still looks brand new. My brother and SIL have two leather sofas that have had all manner of pets (cats, monkeys, rabbits) on them. Both are in great condition. One is a hand-me-down from her grandparents (this one has had at least one dog on it) that I think is twenty or more years old. The other one is at least 10 years old and white. I have never noticed any scatches or anything.

johann

Boxer Insane
We love our leather furniture! We did spend a lot of money on it to get a good quality leather though (and i tested all the sample pieces in the store to see if it would scratch easily). I'd steer away from the buttery soft type or a light color, ours is dark espresso color and has held up very well. Johann hasn't caused any marks on it, only a few little scratches in the leather from our cat dive bombing around the house.

And honestly, if you get the right color/style leather, any scratches or marks either blend in or look perfectly fine. Similar to good hardwood floors. :)

RoxyLoki

Boxer Pal
boxer smells

I think the one thing that wasn't mentioned is that it much harder to get smells out of leather furniture than fabric furniture. To avoid this we have a blanket that the dogs sleep on and they know it as their "dog spot". Otherwise it is easier to clean, but I would definitely not get light colored leather as it can get stained easily.

LillyBear

Boxer Booster
Thanks guys. The smell thing kind of worries me because I know it will be almost impossible to keep them on one spot.

boxermom5

Super Boxer
We have leather, a boxer and an ambitious lab/border collie rescue (she tends to smell due to the longer hair and oily-ish undercoat). Though we do have lightweight blankets for the girls to lounge on, the only time there is ever any smell is at the end of the week or when the blankets experience wet-dog syndrome - covers get washed weekly, so it really isn't an issue. I have not had any of my leather furniture "smell" because the dogs have used it for their personal comfort zone...in fact, I have a leather chair that is a favorite boxer resting spot for about 17 years, and other than some fading on the arm that consistently has slobber on it, the chair sustained more damage from the human children diving over the back of it over the years.

Do be sure to get high quality leather. As others have said, you definitely get what you pay for! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.