Leash around the mouth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BXRBESTFRIND

Super Boxer
For Caine i use a response collar.
I was told not to use a harness by my obedience trainer as all their strength comes from their chest and that a GL was not goo until they were full grown as their snout is too small and it sits to close to his eyes.

So I went out and got a Response collar. So it has a stopper on it it goes around their head and sits at the top of the neck ( where it is most soft) right under their ears and below the jaw. so when i walk him i can give a little jolt and he will stop pulling. I have used it on him a few times when walking and i have only had to do a little jolt here and there.. it seems to work wonders......

What type of "Jolt" are you talking about......

If its a literal jolt you might want to read the rules of this forum again. Not trying to be mean, just trying to inform you before a Mod does.

If Im mistaken please forgive me.

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane

If its a literal jolt you might want to read the rules of this forum again. Not trying to be mean, just trying to inform you before a Mod does.

I think they mean a collar correction... a quick tug. I don't think they are referring to a forbidden subject on this forum :)

CC- I was just stating my opinion, I wasn't in any way trying to pass judgement on you or anyone else. My apologies if that is how I came across, I didn't mean to offend! :)

JulieJay- I am glad you found something that works for you! Is the Response collar anything like the Illusions collar by Cesar? It kind of sounds like that is what you are describing.... I use the GL harness becuse it is impossible for him to pulll, since the leash hooks in the front all that happens when he attempts to pull is that he is pulled around to face me, in the opposite direction than he wants to travel. It works great! I know a regular harnes would never work on a boxer... they are so strong he could probably pull me onto my bum and drag me with a standard harness. :LOL:

dafzichu

Completely Boxer Crazy
Just my two cents worth, not meant to offend, simply my opinion. I use the gentle leader harness for Mindy, otherwise she hurts my back with the strength of her pulling. However, I use this as only a management tool until I can train her to no longer pull. It is taking us a long time, we have been working for several months and are still not there, but I have faith and we keep working. The reason I am feel Mindy must learn not to pull is because when she is pulling off in her own direction and not listening and responding to me, she is being allowed to be the leader. I need her to follow my lead, turn when I turn, stop when I stop. That is why I look at pulling harnesses and haltis as only management tools until the dog can be fully trained not to pull.

Samsonian

Boxer Buddy
By the way, there is a nice little demonstration of the halti in the Articles section of this site. I've considered it, since it does seem to give you a lot more control.

We've been using the GL harness for several months and Samson has finally stopped pulling so much and has better walking manners, but it has taken a lot of work. However, he's so much stronger than me and I do feel the harness helps him pull me down the street if he gets excited by something. I feel like I need to get back to the gym, as he continues to grow in size and strength :)

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
My brother and I walk our dogs every day. He has a little beagle. He uses the Gentle Lead or Halti and I use a martingale collar for Ms. Ali. It works perfect for him and I can tell you that his beagle is not being stressed in anyway. She proudly walks along as good as gold. But it is funny when you see her and Ali together. One would think that Ali would be the one wearing the Halti instead of the beagle. But he finds the collar great and little Ginger is as happy as a clam.

leslieann

Boxer Booster
I also use a Gentle Leader for my Edie. When we adopted her last year, she was 3 1/2 years old and had never really been on a leash before, except at her foster home. She is much too powerful for me on a regular leash, we practiced in the backyard and I almost went body surfing through the snow, I had to let her leash go. She walks very nicely with the gentle leader, when I take it out, she sits down real nice to have it put on and she is enjoying her walks now.

JulieJay

Super Boxer

Oh GOD NO.. Not that kind of jolt.. I would never do that to my little man.. forget that.. he would kill me and i would have to hurt myself :eek:

I think they mean a collar correction... a quick tug. I don't think they are referring to a forbidden subject on this forum :)

JulieJay- I am glad you found something that works for you! Is the Response collar anything like the Illusions collar by Cesar? It kind of sounds like that is what you are describing.... I use the GL harness becuse it is impossible for him to pulll, since the leash hooks in the front all that happens when he attempts to pull is that he is pulled around to face me, in the opposite direction than he wants to travel. It works great! I know a regular harnes would never work on a boxer... they are so strong he could probably pull me onto my bum and drag me with a standard harness. :LOL:

Yes you are correct a collar correction.. I would never do anything that would put Caine in any harm whatsoever....

I checked out Cesars webpage but that is not it. I will have to take a picture of it and show everyone what it is.. i guess i can't explain it right.. His collar has those two snap things and min is just a braided nylon with two rings on it.... Oh geesh.. Picutre time..haha

CC

Completely Boxer Crazy
No offense taken (heavens, I don't know you people and I'll probably never meet you, I wouldn't lose sleep over anything said on a web forum), I just wanted to point out that the word "crutch" has kinda negative connotations and some posts did imply that people who use these collars kind of suck at training.

Honestly I do feel that our GL is teaching Diesel not to pull so much. We don't go for walks regularly anymore as we have a big yard and our dogs happen to be rather lazy, so I don't have a lot of opportunities to work on his training anymore. He's not a working dog anymore - he is completely retired now and I don't feel the need to be too rigorous with his training.

I used to walk him more, when I had a smaller yard, and I used to really stress about his leash manners. Before we started using the GL (about a year ago), he was a terror to walk. I was forever nagging him, reminding him, treating/bribing him, correcting him, and walks were NO fun at all for me, and probably not much fun for him either, or our other dog. I took them out last week and it was perfectly lovely and relaxing. He strolled calmly right beside me, sniffed around as he wanted, and we all had a wonderful walk. I could get used to that.

Not to mention, we have our first baby on the way and I plan to walk a lot to get back into shape after the baby comes. But I can't be working his heeling and having him yank me around then. I won't be able to focus 100% on him when I'm also walking our vision impaired dog and driving a newborn around in a stroller. He needs to walk nicely and the GL helps him do that.

AStefanie

Boxer Pal
We LOVE our Halti and I would recommend it highly. Drake gets so excited when he sees it as he knows it's time to go for a walk. This doesn't hurt him in the least and he loves it.

bigboychief

Boxer Booster
Thankfully, I am very blessed and Chief is completely trained to walk without a leash. We can go just about anywhere without a leash, and he is perfectly fine. Now, the only time I use a leash is so other people won't panic when they see an unleashed 80 lb Boxer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.