Leash around the mouth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboychief

Boxer Booster
I was at the park the other day, and there was a man with a boxer that was about 3-4 months old. He had a leash around his neck that also had a piece that went over his mouth, kind of like a muzzle. He said it was to train his dog to not pull him when he walks... Apparently the leash would tighten around his mouth if he pulled when walking, and would be uncomfortable for the dog.

I wanted to gripe at this man and tell him that this was not the proper way to train a dog to walk, but I wasn't sure if this is really something people do alot?? It just seems like a very cruel way to train a dog...and very unnecessary. Anyway, I just walked away but I can't stop thinking about that poor puppy!

Has anybody ever seen a leash like this before??

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
Sounds like a halti - and it's not supposed to hurt, it's supposed to turn the dog around in the other direction if he trys to pull. ;) BUT regardless, it doesn't train the dog not to pull - just only not to pull when the halti is on. I bet as soon as he slaps a regular collar on he'll be back to pulling him down the street.

kmorales

Boxer Booster
Very very true.. a lot of people do this.. but it should not hurt at all. Im not really sure if it helps in the long run to train the dog not to pull... maybe it doesnt? but maybe it might work for some dogs?? Has anyone had any success after using a halti to not pull on a regular leash and collar??

CC

Completely Boxer Crazy
I use a Gentle Leader all the time for my boy. It keeps his attention focused and he is an angel on the leash when he wears it. It doesn't hurt him, it just makes it impossible to pull on the leash.

Halti is another brand - both Halti and Gentle Leader probably have loads of info on their websites about how and why they work.

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
They both are crutches. You dog hasn't been taught not to pull - only not to pull when either one of those devices are on. ;) Plain and simple.

BXRBESTFRIND

Super Boxer
They both are crutches. You dog hasn't been taught not to pull - only not to pull when either one of those devices are on. ;) Plain and simple.

Some dogs are unmanagable on a leash, crutch or not if using it makes for a pleasant walk vs a tug of war match Im all for it!

And as far as crutches go so are leashes when you think about it if our dogs had been trained to heel properly leashes would not be needed either. (legalities aside)

Ive personally seen a few 6-9 month old pups leash manners turn around when using a gentle leader/halti, but it is a crutch like has been said but if done correctly it can help with a good heel. In my experience its easier to replicate a behavior once the dog knows what is being asked of them. Transfering a good heel from Halti to leash only may not be easy but I would think that since the dog knows what you expect (with lots of praise) it COULD be easier to get teh same results with a leash.

And to the OP used correctly haltis are not cruel they control the head of the dog which gives more control to the handler overall. Ive been told they are similar to horse harnesses minus the bit(horse people is that accurate?)

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane
Ive been told they are similar to horse harnesses minus the bit(horse people is that accurate?)

:LOL: Yes that is accurate. It is exactly the same as the halter for a horse, except that since you are taller than the dog, the lead hangs at a different angle. It works on the exact same principle, if you control the head you control everything. Properly fitted, a head collar is not cruel, and it should not tighten at all, the straps are fixed. The dog simply is unable to pull due to the structure of their body.

That said, they are indeed a crutch, a teaching tool IMHO. I have a Gentle Leader Harness (goes around the chest instead of the head, I couldn't get my boy acclimated to the head collar) so that I can still exercise my dog while I am in the process of training him not to pull on his leash. I work on training seperately from walks. The idea is that they still get exercise while you are in the process of training, otherwise Hurricane would be bouncing off the walls, we would never get anywhere on our walks ;)

I think they are fantastic if used properly. I also think if you begin training properly from day one (which I humbly admit I did not) you shouldn't need to use such a device to assist you. If I had worked on leash training every day when Hurricane first came home to me, when he weighed 8 lbs instead of 50 lbs, I doubt very highly I would be using a Gentle Leader today. :)

JulieJay

Super Boxer
For Caine i use a response collar.
I was told not to use a harness by my obedience trainer as all their strength comes from their chest and that a GL was not goo until they were full grown as their snout is too small and it sits to close to his eyes.

So I went out and got a Response collar. So it has a stopper on it it goes around their head and sits at the top of the neck ( where it is most soft) right under their ears and below the jaw. so when i walk him i can give a little jolt and he will stop pulling. I have used it on him a few times when walking and i have only had to do a little jolt here and there.. it seems to work wonders......

CC

Completely Boxer Crazy
You can call it a crutch if you want. I call it a tool to get him to walk nicely on a leash without stressing me or him.

I don't want to have to bribe him with food constantly to keep his attention. After enough bribes he loses interest anyway. It makes going for a walk very unpleasant for all of us when I'm constantly nagging him to heel/no pull/go slow/whatever command. He knows how to heel when we're in a class or ring, but I don't make him heel on a casual walk around the neighbourhood.

It doesn't seem to bother him to yank and drag in the flat collar, so I worry that he would damage his neck/throat, so I'm going to continue to use our Gentle Leader instead.

The OP asked what the device they saw was - I explained what it is and that it is not cruel. No need for anyone to be passing judgement on me, please! I didn't ask if anyone thinks it's ok for me to use this. I am complete with the tools I use with my dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.