Leaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikaMay

Boxer Booster
Both of mine do this too. However, as a young adult, I trained a couple of dogs extensively- (the dogs were GSD's), and this was not allowed in obedience.

I have recently joined a training class with Greta. We're going for her CGC. We are now about halfway through.

Greta did the lean a lot in the beginning, and this trainer says this is a sign of dominance and...is not allowed. Also, early on, at a sit, she would always put her right front foot on my left foot, then lean on me.....the trainer said to not allow this either. Again, (the foot thing) is a sign of dominance. She will sometimes forget and do the lean in class, but with a gentle reminder, she will stop.

Now, I do allow it at home -- please don't tell anyone :) The girls often like to sit in front of me and lean on my legs. I like the closeness.

I've got to brag a bit though......I am amazed by...and very proud of Greta's progress. She has done amazingly well and is actually ahead of the class :)

claresmom

Boxer Booster
Oh definitely. Even when I'm sitting on a chair and I cross my legs, she will perch herself right over my leg and lean in.

ELubas

Boxer Insane
My male not only leans but will "rub" against me like a cat. It is amusing except at 75 lbs he can knock me over. At least he only does it to me :)

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane
Yup, Hurricane too! :) I love it, he just wants to be in contact with you. We did teach him to keep clear of our feet (more for his protection than anything, DH has a size 13 US foot and doesn't always check before he puts them down!) but other than that leaning is definitely here. I have heard before that its a sign of dominance but I disagree. My greyhound was the most timid and submissive of dogs, but he would lean on us. It was actually the only form of affection we ever got from him, he was so timid he could never even stand to cuddle with us, but if you were standing or sitting somewhere quietly he would come gently lean against your legs for a few minutes, get some soft pets, and then go back to his corner. I think it is totally a form of affection and in some cases reassurance. Hurricane leans to be lovey, but also when he is startled by something he will lean back against my legs like "mom you're there right, everything's ok right?" Anyway, that's my two cents... or is it more like ten? :LOL:

AnitaSue

Boxer Booster
Leaners

Yogi likes to lean against your legs. I have also noticed when he is in bed with us, he leans on our legs (or lays across them). He hasn't quite figured out that he is really too big to be a lovey lap dog, he tries to stand on your lap and then lean against you. Yikes!!

Ciscobxr

Boxer Insane
Cisco is not a leaner, but he does always want to sit on my feet when we stop. I think that's funny!
My new GREAT DANE pup IS a leaner!!! He already outweighs Cisco by 2 lbs and the pup is only 4 months old!!! :eek: So this may get interesting if he grows to weigh close to 200 lbs like his daddy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.