Large lump on neck in 8 month old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmschult

Boxer Booster
He is too young for cancer right?!?! Im very worried
.. On one side of his neck there is a firm moveable lump.. about 2 inches long adn an inch wide. It is not painful but to me a little on the large side. He is only 8 months old what could this be?! We cant get him into the vet until Thursday!

Also I don't know if this is related.. But we actually made an appt with the vet on thurs because we noticed he has this protruding "line" going down the side of his coat.. It looks like his veins are showing through his coat? SOmetimes they are more pronounced. This developed like a week ago? BUt it is something that is definitely noticable.

His behavior is unchanged. seems healthy, eating. Not the biggest guy in the world (a little ribby still) .

Very scared tho!

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Sounds like a swollen lymph node to me. There are numerous things that could cause that, including bacterial or viral infection, etc. Cancer can also cause this but probably not as likely in your guy's case, just because he's so young. As for the line going down the coat, I haven't a clue what that might be :confused:

Hopefully it's nothing serious! Let us know what you find out at the vet.

Sending lots of (((((healing vibes))))) !

tmschult

Boxer Booster
well i couldnt wait and took him to the hospital lol

he said it looks like an allergic reaction bc there were hives on his neck also.

Gave him prednisone... I don't know how happy I am with this (I let me boyfriend take him without me sigh) BUt I'll keep an eye on it.

ruca girl

Boxer Buddy
same thing here

My pup is also 8 months old. About a month ago (right before I went on vacation of course) my pup got a similar lump. It was about the size of a large almond. About a day later she broke out in hives. I asked my sitter to watch it for me while I was away and to take her to the vet if things got worse (I left him plenty of money for a visit). I figured if the neck lump was anything serious a week wouldn't really matter, so I was planning on taking her in when I got back anyway. When I got home from vacation her hives were much worse and she had scabs all over her arms and missing patches of hair...apparently my sitter didn't think this was "worse". Anyway, I took her in to the vet and he said the same thing as yours. He guessed that the neck lump was a swollen lymph node as her hives had turned into a bacterial infection. After 3 weeks of antibiotics, Ruca's infection is now gone, and her lump is much smaller. I hope that the steroids work for your pup. It's crazy how much they can scare us and get us worked up. My puppy seems to have a different bump or issue once a month. I'm constantly on my toes with her. Good luck, and I hope that your puppy starts to feel better very soon.

johann

Boxer Insane
Poor guy, I hope his neck is looking better.

Are the visible veins on his legs? Johann's stand out quite a bit as well, but our vet said it was because he's thin and doesn't have much hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.