1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lame hind legs

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Tuff Love, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

Poor Tuff. It never seems to end for him. Surgery after surgery for lump removals and now this. Last summer Tuff had a minor limp with one of his hind legs that dissipated after a few days. I took him to the vet and she did the drawer test on the leg and said there wasn't any slipping(?) so if there was a tear, it was likely very small. So we decided to try management with supplements and such and see how things went. Months later he started doing the tell-tail sitting funny with one leg underneath which again raised my suspicions. Husband was laid off and money was tight so we continued with the management for the time being since he didn't appear to be in any pain and was otherwise unhindered.
    FFW to about a week ago...
    Tuff wasn't jumping on the couch anymore, instead he would slowly crawl up one foot at a time. He also stopped jumping up and down on the bed by himself. He would cry for assistance and we would help him, and it was obvious that his hind leg/legs were bothering him. Then 2 days ago he fell... He was walking in the kitchen and his back leg(s) woomp! went under him. So of course I made an appointment for him to see the vet. We're taking him in tomorrow night and I am just praying that is isn't something worse than an acl tear.
    My heart just breaks looking at him. I hug him and I kiss him in the dent between his eyes and apologize 1000 times for all of the grief he has to endure and all the surgeries he's been put through. My poor little man. Please keep us in your thoughts and pray for a positive outcome.

2. RockyCody

RockyCody Completely Boxer Crazy

I have no experience or any input. Just wanted to let you know Rocky and I hope all works out for Tuff and that it is nothing more severe.

Please keep us updated!

3. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

thank you :) the worst part is not knowing what's going on. i'm going to be sick with worry until we know.

4. brianarch

brianarch Boxer Pal

Positive thoughts going your way, from Daisy Duke and myself. Hope he gets well soon.

5. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I'm so sorry Tuff is having a rough time! We are sending positive healthy ((vibes)) to him. I know when my Star had problems getting up on the sofa or on the bed it was arthritis in her hips.

6. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

thanks for the positive vibes :) it's going be a loooong day. his apt isn't until 7 this evening. he's only 5, so i can't imagine arthritis has set in already, however, if it is an acl tear it's possible there is some. hopefully by the end of the night we'll have some answers.

7. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

waited at the vet last night for 2 hours... i really like tuff's current vet but the practice overbooking appointments is ridiculous. the visit was inconclusive. the vet laid poor tuff on the exam table on his sides to stretch around his legs and check out his knees and joints. poor guy was terrified and shaking so bad while i stroked his head. she said his knees actually feel pretty good, which was surprising, but there could be issues with the hips. so he's back there this morning getting xrays. somehow through all of this he keeps a wagging nub and a smiling happy face while he trots back to the vet. his spirit never ceases to amaze me. hopefully by the end of the day we will have some answers.

8. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

We're continuing our healthy positive ((vibes)) to Tuff!

9. Tuff Love

Tuff Love Boxer Insane

well, we had the x rays done... and we're really still at square one, which is incredibly frustrating.

The xrays showed mild hip displaysia in the right hip, but the vet said it's very minor and not likely to cause the lameness he's experiencing (which is on the left leg anyways). The knees look pretty good evidently (which was a BIG surprise). The vet prescribed him Rimadyl and said to monitor him and see if it gets any better or worse and we'll go from there. She said it could be a soft tissue problem (like a torn muscle or other ligament) or it could be a neurological problem. If nothing improves in a couple weeks, she can refer us to a radiologist to evaluate his xrays again and they will likely advise us to have an MRI done. OR if the problem appears to be neurological, she can refer us to a neurologist.

So my husband and I are still left with basically no answers and are both very frustrated, feeling helpless. We hoped by now we'd have identified the problem and be on our way to recovery, or at least know what we're dealing with. The good news at least is that his knees appear to be in fine shape, so he won't be needing the acl surgery as I feared (at least at this point). The displaysia she said is very minor and can be dealt with non-surgically if it becomes a problem down the road.

Now I suppose we're just playing the waiting game :/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

I'm sorry you still don't have any answers but at least they didn't find anything major. Hopefully it will resolve on it's own. My Boxer girl is scheduled for x rays tomorrow, she is limping badly, both hind legs ar affected. It's so tough to see them suffer... Sending lots of (((healing vibes))) your way, hopefully tuff feels better soon.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.