1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kirkland

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by victore1123, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victore1123

victore1123 Boxer Pal

I fed my boys Kirkland dog food for about a month. I read the ingredients and they seemed really good, especially for the price. I suppose you do get what you pay for. It was a disaster. Their fur went from shiny to dull, and they had an allergic reaction. Before I knew anything about dog food ingredients they were eating Pedigree, and they did better on that than they did on Kirkland. I've also had them on Natural Balance, Chicken Soup, Diamond, and now Canidae. I don't know if anyone else has had a similar experience with Kirkland food, but I know it was bad for my boys. It just doesn't make sense how a dog food with "quality" ingredients can have such adverse effects on a dogs health...

2. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

Wow, I guess we've been lucky because our 2 are doing great on Kirkland Chicken and Rice...shiny coats, not too much back yard cleanup.

I've had Jazz on premium foods such as Innova, Chicken Soup, and Natural Balance in the past (Hoss came to us eating Iams, which we took him off of in the first 2 weeks), and the Kirkland works every bit as well for these guys as the premium brands. We do add a little natural yogurt, just enough warm water to moisten the dry kibble, and a spoonful of canned food mixed in.

I wonder how yours would do on Innova EVO since there was something in Kirkland that they're allergic to. EVO is that new food most closely simulating the BARF diet.

3. victore1123

victore1123 Boxer Pal

Thanks for the reply. That's great that yours are doing well on Kirkland. For the price it seemed almost too good to be true (guess it was for me, but all dogs react differently to different foods). I'll have to look into that Innova EVO. I thought my boys had stomachs of steel. They've been on quite a few different brands and qualities of foods without any kind of allergic reaction (except while on Kirkland). I guess you just never know...

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Well, there are a few thread on these forums where people have had trouble with Kirkland food. But the food that suits every single dog has not yet been invented, so I think you'd be hard pressed to find a food that nobody has had a bad experience with.

With all that said, Kirkland isn't one that's ever going to be rated as a premium food, so I don't think it's any loss that it doesn't suit either of your dogs. It contains by-products, corn meal and beet pulp... Wouldn't ever be my choice, even of the mid-range foods.

It is made by diamond petfoods, incidentally. Their Diamond range is slightly better than Kirkland, and their premium food is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul - and that one is a very good premium food :)

5. armyboot

armyboot Boxer Booster

Does the chicken formula use the by-products and corn? The lamb one doesn't appear to, but it does contain beet pulp.

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

6. gmacleod

I think so - or at least, the scan of a label that I have says so LOL Possibly the lamb formula is just better, or I guess they may even have changed the ingredients. Anyone got a bag of the chicken formula to check?

7. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

Just went downstairs and read the chicken label: the 1st four ingredients are chicken, chicken meal, rice, barley. No corn. I forgot to look specifically for beet pulp, so not sure if that may have been farther down the list or not, but I think it would have jumped out at me because it's one of the things we've been talking about here.

Reading here at BW about nutrition had me looking for foods without corn/without by-products and that was one of the reasons we first gave Kirkland a try, and fortunately it has been an excellent food for our 2 boxers.

8. gmacleod

OK :) Well, that's a lot better than the info I've got. Wonder if they changed it, or if the scanned label I've got belongs to something else entirely? ROFL

9. armyboot

armyboot Boxer Booster

I know Kirkland and Chicken Soup are both made by Diamond. I was just comparing the two labels and it looks like Kirkland is almost a 'dumbed down' formula of chicken soup.

In any event, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with this food. My GF's dogs thrive on it. (Still trying to convince her to try something else though :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.