1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"King" Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by trucker1954, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trucker1954

trucker1954 Boxer Buddy

My neighbour seems to be quite knowledgeable about dogs in general. He has two black labs that he classes as English and Scottish. This is due to differences in head and chest size.

Chatting over the fence the other day, he described Mini as a "King" boxer due to her leg length.

I am wondering if there is such a differentiation? I've not heard of it before.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Me neither ;)

There are plenty of "local" descriptions for boxer body styles, colours, etc. I think it is safe to say that one is not widely spread (and may even be his own term).

3. Jill's boxer

Jill's boxer Banned

I have actually heard that term applied to boxers--generally to describe a taller, slightly leaner boxer than the usual build. I also recall it being referenced to boxers coming out of Spain...it is not a separate classification of the breed or anything, just as some areas breed with/for slightly different looks/variations on the standard, that's what this is--some term someone made up and it got passed around! Norton was a rather tall and lean for a male--within standard but just not "typical" of the average male I suppose and I had several people ask me if he was a "king boxer" and I had no idea what they meant at the time. mind you this was several years ago when I still lived in San Diego (when Norton was around 1-2 yrs old, so 1995-96) and I haven't heard the term recently. I do recall finding a link online referring to their boxers as "king boxers" but couldn't come across it today when searching.

4. Shanz

Shanz Boxer Insane

Ive only heard King used to describe German Sheppards....and in fact as far as I know there really is no such thing as a King sheppard, just people whos GSD happens to be a bit larger call them that. Ive also never heard Scottish and English used to describe a retriever... It seems to me that some people come up with their own terms to make their dogs seem more "exotic"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.