1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

killer nails

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by yvette, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

2. Wendy Swalls

Wendy Swalls Super Boxer

My instructor at Puppy Headstart told of someone who used a dremel to do their dogs nails and I couldn't believe it! Mickey goes NUTS nonoicon when I get near him with the clippers, which has resulted in more than a little blood from cutting to short! :( He will find the clippers in his basket and chew on them, but that's as close as I can get to clipping him. I can't believe that the noise of the dremel doesn't scare them. Which disk do you use to do their nails?

3. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I use the larger sanding band. We did a test, and that's the one the dogs prefer ;)

The How-To site is at www.doberdawn.com - the link is on the left-hand navigation pane. She has the site up at several different locations because it gets so much traffic - if you go to the page from the doberdawn site you should always be able to pull it up from somewhere!

4. budlitefan

budlitefan Boxer Booster

My husband trims Sysco's nails w/a (dog) nail clipper then files the edges w/one of my nail files to make them nice and smooth so Sysco will not catch the carpet. He sits so wonderfully angeliconfor his daddy when they are being clipped with treats in hand nearby knowing that if he is a good boy he will get one!:D

5. Pierpoint

Pierpoint Boxer Booster

What a great idea! My husband has a dremel but I would have never thought of using it. And it's timely that I saw this post. I'm really bad with Bailey's nails only because he completely flips out when I get near him with the clippers. We attempted it again last night (it takes both of us) and his little heart was going a mile a minute and he acted like we were killing him. Poor baby. I'll try the dremel tonight as I too will have to start a couple times a week to get the nails where they should be.

6. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

:( I want to start with the dremel but I thought since I am learning I should start with some 1/2 decent toenails. I cannot get near my dogs with the clippers. I had to take them to the vet last week and have the terrier put under. It was horrible and he was so sick afterwards from the drugs. We opted to do Luke w/o drugs and it was even worse. We had to muzzle him and the vet threw him down laid on him and two people had to hold him because he was freaking out. He was making this screaming noise I have never heard before and frothing at the mouth. So all in all it was a horrid experience. I hope that this dremel idea works out - we need all the help we can get!

Tamara

7. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

:eek: That is horrible!! No wonder he was freaking out...I would be too! Maybe you should try training him to allow you to trim his nails. I put mine in a down...they're more relaxed that way. Try trimming one nail a day...you may not get it all the way trimmed but if he'll let you take just a tiny bit off the end, that would be progress.

Hopefully Gracie is getting used to nail trims by the breeder and will be much easier to deal w/.

8. penny misner

penny misner Boxer Pal

Hi my name is Penny and my husband and I are owned by two of these characters. Sadie the female has nowproblem with a pedicure, Seigfried on the other hand gets downright nasty at the sight of toenail cutters or a Dremel. We accidentally came across a solution...Siggy loves to chase the little red dot of a laser-light, he's nuttier than a cat with the thing...so-o-o, we just take him and the light down in the basement a few times a week and presto those troublesome toenails wear down beautifully!

9. Rushing

Rushing Boxer Booster

haha How do I keep my Gibson from trying to lick the dremel while I'm doing his nails? I used the dremel for the first time this week and it works SOOOO much better than clipping, but he tries to lick the sanding end of the dremel.

10. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

I had this same problem w/ Buck...took some time and some time consuming trims but I had to constantly push his head away and say "No" then praise once his head was away. After a few times I could just say "No" and he'd move his head then FINALLY he quit trying...smashicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.