1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

killer nails

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by yvette, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvette

yvette Boxer Pal

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else's boxer has killer nails. My little one, Molly will be a year old on the 29th of January and I just don't know what to think about her nails. I have tried snipping them but they still seem to grow so fast. I would appreciate any advice on how to control them because they have already scarred me and I fear for my 2 yr old daughter and soon to come little one in March. I love Molly but need help fast.
    Thanks
    Yvette Harrison

2. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

I use a dremel to keep the nails filed down. You'll need to do this weekly to keep up on it.

After the pups were born I slacked quite a bit on the adults (okay, I didn't touch their nails for about 8 weeks :o ) but trimmed the pups about once a week starting at about 3 days old.

From my lack of attention paid to my adults nails for the 2 months, they are horrible (I won't mention how their toes now look :rolleyes: ). I'm having to trim 2-3 times a week. I dremel them until I see just a drop of blood, trying to get them short again. Even though I trim until the nail starts to bleed, the dogs don't act as if they feel it. They've shortened up quite a bit but I still have my work cut out for me...smashicon

3. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I have the same problem - brutally long nails. Normal clippers really bother the boys. Is the dremel method less irritating for the dogs? Where can I get one and how much are they?

Tamara

4. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

You can get a dremel at a hardware store. I have the small cordless model and it was $30-$40, I think. I'm still working on getting Dallas used to it, but it's going better than clippers. The dremel doesn't pinch like clippers do, so it doesn't hurt them. (I tested on myself to make sure!) You can also get the nails shorter because you can grind right up to the quick. If you do a search on the forums, JulieM posted a great link not too long ago that tells you exactly how to do it.

Susan

5. Alisha Mobley

We bought ours at Wal Mart...we had the cordless kind but it's actually my husbands tool and he uses it for tons of things so he wanted the one w/ a cord.

They just sand the nail down. They don't hurt, I've slipped and hit the dogs paw pads and they don't even flinch. I've slipped and hit my own fingers before and it feels kinda like a cat's tongue.:) The only thing that hurts for me is when I'm not paying much attention and get my hair in it...it takes a split second for it to rip out the strands that get tangled in it.:eek: Luckily it's never been more than 4-5 strands at a time.:LOL:

There is a great sight some where that explains step by step how to dremel dog nails. It's complete w/ photos.:)

6. Renee&Jake

Renee&Jake Super Boxer

Sorry for the "me too" post, but I recently bought a cordless mini-dremel at wal-mart for $20.

I don't know how I got on without it! All the kicking, biting and fighting that used to go on at nail cutting time is now mild protest.

There is a link (search Dremel?) that takes you to a page a woman wrote on how she does her Dobermans. Lots lof great info on how to get started.

7. Alisha Mobley

Yes!! This is the one I was talking about. It is very informative.:)

8. BigRip

BigRip Boxer Pal

My problem with my boxer is , I can't get even close to her with the nail clippers, she goes crazy , the nails are so long and she will rake them down on you when she boxes , I tell you it will scar you for life. She likes to play in bed at night and that is when it is really on. I take her to the vet and she lets him cut them , but I can't . I would like to try the dremel, but I don't think she will let me get near her with the noise.

9. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

You might be surprised with the dremel -- Dallas is extremely skittish, but the noise of the dremel doesn't bother him at all -- it just doesn't like the grinding end touching his nails! Just give her lots of time to get used to it.

10. Zsara

Zsara Super Boxer

Thanks Guys!

Once again this forum has taught me something. I have been scratched up a lot in the past 6 months by my loving puppy.

Who says love doesn't hurt! :)

I bought a nail clipper a while back, but haven't used it yet as I felt I needed assistance. Blade likes to squirm when you hold his paws BIG TIME!

However...after reading this post I now think there is a better way. I am going to try the dremel before they end up calling me

Scar Face! lol :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.