1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by mikey_bn, Sep 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikey_bn

mikey_bn Boxer Pal

My vet just diagnosed our 9-yr old male boxer with kidney stones. Is there any non-invasive way these can be treated?

2. MarinaS

MarinaS Boxer Insane

Hmmmm.... Are kidney stones big enough or is it just sand? A friend of mine was diagnosed with kidney stones and doctors recommended her drinking much beer (because of its diuretic effect) and jogging (don't laugh). I don't know if it works for dogs though, anyway if the stones are not very big you can try this method - and make sure you give your dog non-alcohol beer. Dogs usually like beer so I think there won't be a problem to make your boxer drink it.
    Regards :)

------------------
    Marina
    -------------------------
    Tina - fawn, natural ears, born September 1996; sweetie and cutie

3. mikey_bn

mikey_bn Boxer Pal

Hi Marina,
    I've heard of the beer treatment too, I think I'll give it try on our guy. Let's see what he thinks about non-alcoholic beer.

4. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

My mother in laws schnauzer had kidney stones. His vet had him on a low protein diet to avoid future problems. He eats prescrition diet U/D and they have to watch his treats. You may want to ask your vet about changes in his diet that may help.

------------------
    Brutus & Amayas Mom
    Brutus 9/23/99 Flashy Fawn
    Amaya 3/22/00 Flashy Brindle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.