Just Got Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

x19er

Boxer Insane
Just got Dino started on homecooking and have started to add to his usual dry food to do a gradual changeover - well that was the theory anyway! Checked on his progress eating his lunch to find him sniffing in the dish, removing all the tasty bits, anything suspicious was removed and taken to the comfort of the carpet to be examined careful to determine if friend or foe, and the floor all round his bowl covered with his old dog food and a very silly boxer dog standing on 3 legs trying to avoid standing on the mess he'd made - so I'm thinking this gradual change over isn't going to last long.

What have the rest of you done? Have you introduced the homecooking as a small separate meal or mixed together with kibble? Dino has never been keen on kibble so I was thinking if I gave him a small separate homecooked meal he would reject the kibble meal all together hence why I mixed it up.

How long have you all taken to change over to homecooking plus did you have any upset stomach problems etc if you tried it pretty quickly?

bayleighmom

Boxer Insane
I tried one meal kibble, one meal homecooked. Once they figured out that good food was coming later in the day, they refused the kibble. I tried mixing kibble in and my 2 did the same thing Dino did...spit out the kibble! I completely switched over in 2 days. Stools were loose the first couple of days but soon firmed up.

Kaybie's Mom

Boxer Insane
I switched to home cooking with no mixing of kibble. Kaybie had stopped eating her kibble and was losing weight so I just went for it. She never had any upset stomachs or loose stool. She is sooo much healthier now. She's even gained the much needed weight I was hoping for.

Gruntsmom

Boxer Insane
When I started changing Grunt over to homecooking, the scene in my kitchen was much like yours! :LOL: I added to kibble gradually, but it wasn't long before I saw he just wasn't going to eat the kibble anymore - most of it was ending up on the floor. It took less than a week, and there were no digestive upsets.

x19er

Boxer Insane
Thanks for your responses. Dino is enjoying his new food and actually looks forward to eating now, bouncing along trying to see what's in his dish. He is also looking much more solid and has lost that too skinny ribby look - so I'm really pleased we've changed :)

simmons

Boxer Insane
Thanks for your responses. Dino is enjoying his new food and actually looks forward to eating now, bouncing along trying to see what's in his dish. He is also looking much more solid and has lost that too skinny ribby look - so I'm really pleased we've changed :)

I started homecooking about 3 weeks ago and just mixing it in with the kibble. However, when the bag is gone it will just be homecooking. But both of mine get so excited when they see me fixing there meals, run right over, sit and wait.

They used to care less for the kibble, sometimes not even eat it. But now they love it and Crash is putting some needed weight on.

Burton'sMa

Boxer Booster
Need Help in this Area

My Boy is 6 and he has just begun to loose hair, has been dealing with bad ear infection (in both ears) and eye trouble (I believe as well as the vet) as a result of allergies.....may be both seasonal (as I live in the South as well as food related)......He was on Wellness Lamb and Rice.....I think I've tried almost every WDJ food.....to make a long story short.....after trying kibble, I thought he was allergic to chicken....so Lamb and Rice or some type of beef.....were best choices.....however, b/c Lamb and Rice has been a fail safe for us....I think he has become allergic to it (as I read it is possible).....anyhow, I've never home cooked.....don't really know where to begin.....what supplements need to be added to the food and where to get those supplements....I read the most recent WDJ, but it appears there are several options......which is best??....my boy is actually overweight at 83 lbs......He is currently on Three Dog Bakery's entrees and kibble (as I figured the entrees where the closest I could get to home cooking).......They are chicken based, but he doesn't appear to have as many problems as he did in the past w/it.....I am not a cook....I don't cook for my husband or myself....we stay busy with work.....but I want to do was is best by my boy (our only child)......and I believe that is home cooking....I just don't feel comfortable with raw......I fear salmonella.......anyhow, what is a good first recipe to begin with.....how often do I switch up?.....can I freeze some so that I cook on the weekend?? Sorry this is so long:( Anywhere or website I can go for baby steps on this.....I know I could google it....but I want to make sure I go somewhere reliable.....Thanks ya'll

simmons

Boxer Insane
My Boy is 6 and he has just begun to loose hair, has been dealing with bad ear infection (in both ears) and eye trouble (I believe as well as the vet) as a result of allergies.....may be both seasonal (as I live in the South as well as food related)......He was on Wellness Lamb and Rice.....I think I've tried almost every WDJ food.....to make a long story short.....after trying kibble, I thought he was allergic to chicken....so Lamb and Rice or some type of beef.....were best choices.....however, b/c Lamb and Rice has been a fail safe for us....I think he has become allergic to it (as I read it is possible).....anyhow, I've never home cooked.....don't really know where to begin.....what supplements need to be added to the food and where to get those supplements....I read the most recent WDJ, but it appears there are several options......which is best??....my boy is actually overweight at 83 lbs......He is currently on Three Dog Bakery's entrees and kibble (as I figured the entrees where the closest I could get to home cooking).......They are chicken based, but he doesn't appear to have as many problems as he did in the past w/it.....I am not a cook....I don't cook for my husband or myself....we stay busy with work.....but I want to do was is best by my boy (our only child)......and I believe that is home cooking....I just don't feel comfortable with raw......I fear salmonella.......anyhow, what is a good first recipe to begin with.....how often do I switch up?.....can I freeze some so that I cook on the weekend?? Sorry this is so long:( Anywhere or website I can go for baby steps on this.....I know I could google it....but I want to make sure I go somewhere reliable.....Thanks ya'll

When I first started homecoooking, I read through all the posts in the "home Cook" Category. It helped me out alot. You can defienetly freeze batches, that's what I do and others here as well. This is how I cook:

First get a big pressure cooker- ( i have never used one before this)

2 cups cooked brown rice
1 bag cooked navy beans
chopped up veggies- either fresh or frozen. I don't use too many veggies. Examples: sweet potatoe, peas, carrots, etc... or I boil the veggies and just squash. Much quicker than chopping them all up. You can even use your food processor too

Put all this in the pressure cooker with water to the half-way point. Only takes about 1 hour to cook.
1 lb liver (beef or chicken)
1 lb hearts & gizzards
10 lbs of chicken
Sometimes I buy turkey too

The chicken thighs are a much better way to go then the whole chickens because they don't have as many small bones. I tripple check the meat just to make sure no bones were left.

When everything is done, Mix all the ingredients together and I throw in a couple raw eggs and grind up the egg shells and mix that in.

You can add more or less, but I cook once or teice a month. Freeze in gladlware containers and put about 3 in the fridge. This probably sounds overwhelming, but I swear once you do it the second time- very easy. Just read up in the homecook threads and do your homework.

Good Luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.