Just bought a new puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FawnDigger

Boxer Pal
Hi my name is Danny,

I just bought my first puppy ever, I've always wanted a boxer and finally was able to get one. It is 6 weeks old now, and I can't get it until Christmas Eve, I just went out and bought a ton of supplies. I picked out a Flashy Fawm Male, and already named it DIGGER, there is a ton of information that I have learned from this site and look forward to being her for a lot longer. One Question to start off is, to Crop of Not to Crop. I like both looks, so if you had it to do over again what would you do? Is it painful for the dog? Does it help out with ear infections? How much is the average cost? I am soooo excited to get my dog, and as soon as I do you better believe you will be seeing pictures.

Danny Iorg,
Owner of Digger - Flashy Fawn Male
Sandy, UT

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
Welcome Danny and Digger!! Glad to see you here at the Boxer Forums. I know how excited you must be anticipating your new Boxer puppy. Best of luck.

As you know, you'll find tons of information here about Boxers and there are so many great people here to answer your questions or to bounce your thoughts around with.

As for cropping, there are quite a few discussions about that here. Some threads you might want to read are listed here:
http://boxerworld.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000338.html
http://boxerworld.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000377.html
http://boxerworld.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000307.html

You might want to check these threads out regarding ear cropping. (My Maggie has natural ears so I can't add any personal experience here.)

Good luck with your puppy. We are all anxiously awaiting photos!!!

------------------
Dan from Brooklyn
Proud Pappa to Maggie Mae, Born 6/16/00
Flashy Fawn (Red), docked tail, natural ears.
Pictures: http://maggie.artshost.com

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Danny and Digger! :)

To crop or not to crop is a personal decision. I prefer the cropped look and I did crop my boxer, but I wouldn't do it again. It is painful for your boxer and it is a lot of work taping and re-taping the ears. It could take months for them to stand up and sometimes they never will. The theory ,that cropping the ears helps prevent ear infections is a myth. The cost for ear cropping varies from place to place. Check with the breeder from whom you are getting the puppy. They should have a good idea what it costs in your area. If you're not planning on conformation showing your puppy, it's probably best not to crop, but it is your choice.

I'm concerned that you are bringing home your puppy on Christmas Eve. Christmas is the absolute worst time to bring a new puppy into your home and most responsible breeders would never allow a puppy to go to his new home at that hectic time. 7 weeks is also a bit young for a puppy to leave his littermates. 8 weeks is a much better time. I know it will be very difficult but it will be much better for your puppy if you wait until after Christmas to bring him home.

Good luck with your puppy and I look forward to hearing all about him.

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

ninersneal

Super Boxer
Welcome to the board! You will find a lot of information here. Be prepared for sleepless nights and the always fun hunt for doggie tootsie rolls!! They are wonderful dogs you made a good choice :). Please check the postings that Dan gave you, there are alot of different opinions out there about cropping and visit your vet right away, they are a wealth of information!!

------------------
Rambo- beagle mix waiting at the bridge 12/85-1/2000
Roxanne- beautiful brindle born 12-99

FawnDigger

Boxer Pal
Jan, thanks for the info, but about where you said christmas eve is a bad time I dont understand. I read somewhere that Holidays are better to bring a puppy home because you have more time to spend with it for the first day or two and it wont have to be crated right from the get go. I was wondering why Christmas eve would be bad? I cant wait to get it, it will be 8 weeks old exactly the day after christmas. The breeder is actually already giving out its siblings. Mine will be the last one left, execpt for the two white ones.

Thanks for the feedback!

Danny Iorg
Owner of Digger - Flashy Fawn Male
Sandy, UT

Julie Davis

Boxer Insane
Welcome to the board. I really like the name you picked out, and he may unfortunetly live up to it! You will grow to love your boxer more every day, and I wish the best of luck with him.
:)

------------------
Boomer, flashy fawn, 2/19/00, natural ears, docked tail and Baxter the terrible tabby, 3/96

Lava Linda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi Danny,
I shouldn't speak for Jan, but I believe the reason Christmas Eve isn't a good idea is that there's too much going on with all the guests, gifts, etc. Only you know if it's the right thing for you to do. If you plan to have a quiet Christmas with no or few visitors, and can give Digger your full attention, then it's probably ok.

You must be so excited!!!!!!! Can't wait to see him!!!!!

------------------
Linda, proud mother of:
Gilroy - 5 y.o. brindle male, natural ears, gentle as a lamb :)
Purdy - 5 y.o. spayed flashy brindle, natural ears and tongue
Michaela, Boss, Tonka, Maybe, Woof, Jack, Deacon, Casey, Crystal, Flo, Kimba and Poquito, waiting at the bridge.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Hi Danny,
The reason that I was suggesting that Christmas eve was not a good time is that the Christmas season in most households is such a busy time and you really need lots of time to devote to your new puppy. It really all depends on what your home is like. Are there going to be young excited children and lots of visitors etc.

I thought Fawndigger was only going to be 7 weeks old. Eight weeks old is actually the perfect age to bring your puppy home. Good luck with your puppy and please tell us all about him when you get him.

Take care,

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

Status
Not open for further replies.