Jumping at fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeroyJenkins

Boxer Pal
Hi everyone,

My husband and I could use some advice. We have a fenced in backyard, with 6 foot wooden fence around the backyard. Leeroy, who is an 11 month old boxer, has been jumping at the fence, not jumping over it, he can't jump that high, but the top of his head does reach the top of the fence.

Leeroy has been jumping and barking at the fence at the neighbors. We have tried to introduce him to the neighbors, but they do not want to meet him. The neighbors have said that they are afraid of dogs. We have told them Leeroy is very gentle, but they didn't want to listen. He is hard to control when barking at them at the fence. He has been annoying the neighbors, we have been telling him no, and we have even put bricks up next to the fence so he stops looking at them from under the fence and also to stop jumping by the fence. None of this has helped.

Today it was really bad, the neighbor came over by the fence with the leaf blower, and was blowing leaves by the fence, while my husband was outside playing with Leeroy. Leeroy stopped playing and started doing his usual barking and jumping. The neighbor started using some bad language and called Leeroy and my husband some not so nice words.

I am not sure what to do next. We really don't want to put him on a lead and chain him up since we have a fenced in yard, but its looking like this might be the best way. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Regina

ELubas

Boxer Insane
Hi . It is tough when the folks next door won't meet you half way. Is it possible to restrict his access to just that part of the yard while you work on the behavior? We had a similiar issue where the dog next door was tied out (I hate tie outs so that is not an answer in my opinion)and would come to our fence when my Nysa was out. Nysa does not like strange dogs! So on that side I created a kind of buffer zone with plantings and trellisses but you could do it just as easily with xpens. And because Ny could not get so close it was eaier to redirect her. Now I can call her away more easily. Good luck with your pup! By the way, I would bark at a leaf blower too:LOL:

larrygs

Super Boxer
BTW, I don't want to add to your worries, however if his head is at the top of the fence, do not too confident about him not going over one day.

They will grab the top of the fence with their paws and muscle over. It is harder with a wooden fence, because there is little traction with the rear legs. However I thought I should mention it.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
In my opinion, you are just going to have to spend more time in structured training and less time in play or free time. The good news is, it won't be forever. And it the less you allow him to "fail" (ie: do the wrong thing), the faster he will develop good habits.

It is your responsibility to train your dog to behave appropriately. Though it would be nice if the neighbors would play along and help, it is not there responsibility to do so.

Luckily your dog is still young and still developing his sense of appropriateness... so you can guide him easily. I'd keep him on a leash even in the back yard, until you can trust that he will not run over to the fence (google NILIF and dog BAT training techniques). If you have to use a long line (20 yards or 50 yards is fine as long as you have something to bring him back to you when you need it - instantly - but I'd start with a short leash).

Teach him to lay down (start with a sit, if you can't get the down) when the neighbor comes out into their yard or near the fence. Treats and praise if he ignores the neighbor. Perhaps you could ask your neighbor if they would allow you to use a friend to help train. Ask if they will let your friend go into their yard and "pretend" to be them during short but regularly scheduled training sessions (at their convenience). I'd bring them something nice, when you ask this, like a plate of cookies in part, as an apology. Explain (but don't excuse) that your dog is young, and still learning.

The trick with training him, is to NEVER let him jump at the fence again. If he does, you have failed to protect him from his mistakes. He's not able to make smart choices yet. You have to teach him how with practice practice practice, reward reward reward.
Only after a significant amount of time, MONTHS in my opinion, can you "test" him by putting him in a position where he MIGHT fail.

This behavior is dangerous to him, both physically and behavioral. It is very likely to escalate if not nipped in the bud. And he will find a way to get over that fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.