Job path

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz4lines

Completely Boxer Crazy
Just a curiosity question.
I was wondering what career paths we chose as kids, what we do now for a living, how many years have you been at this job and if you still love it.

I'm a florist.
I celebrated my 18th year on the job yesturday and can honestly say that I still love it. Of course there are always those days and weeks I would answer differently.(like this holiday season and most holidays)
Exactly half my life has been working here.
I studied horticulture in high school, college and then hit the real life career doing my dream job.

My other dream jobs as a child were to work the french fry fryer at Mcdonalds (very young) or to be a vet( but couldn't stand to see any animal suffer, even though the point is to make them better)

So, how about you?

Billysmum

Boxer Insane
I would have really liked to have taught horse riding. But I think when I was at school this was too out of the norm and the careers teacher and my parents didn't take me seriously. I was too immature to just go for it and so I ended up taking typing etc and working in offices until I left work when I had my second child.

I'd like to get back to work now that both girls are at school and have been thinking of training to be a vet nurse or something. I'm still thinking - but I know I don't really want to go back to office work.

vaboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
I always wanted to be a teacher and I actually graduated college with a degree in English which is the type of teacher I always wanted to be...

But, unfortunetly, teachers dont make a lot of money and when I graduated I had over $18000.00 in loans to pay off so I went into corporate america to work and here I am three years later...

I am hoping to start school again this year and get certified to teach...Ive found that $ doesnt do it for me anymore, I need a job I love to go to...and this certainly is not it!

Donna741

Boxer Insane
I too had grand dreams of being a vet until I saw EVERYTHING that vets have to do. I could not stand to see the amount of suffering in animals that they see.

Then I wanted to be a lawyer, my mom worked for them (secretary) and I knew they made good money. The law interested me, so that's what I wanted to do. Then I started working for them (in financial accounting) well the ones I have worked with have been back stabbing jerks so that shot that dream down.

Now I do financial accounting for a law firm (for the last 5 years). It's not what I want to do forever, but I'm pretty good at it and I make good money so it's okay for now. I'm thinking of getting paralegal credentials but I would still have to work with attorneys :rolleyes: so I don't know what I really want to do.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
I always wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps...both as an officer in the Air Force and as a physician.

I had thought about civil or environmental engineering, and then changed to theology, anfd later to computer science.

I decided after my second year of college that I just wasn't cut out for math or physics, so I chose a degree in healthcare administration. I figured lots of job security, there will always be folks in need of healthcare.

Well, here I am, seven years later, and, I've got the degree in healthcare administration, but folks twice my age are competing for the same jobs I am.

I really love what I do, and after having worked for my father for ten years (started in his front office at 14 in the summer), I see that I can do more on the administrative side and keep the docs doing what they love best....seeing patients.

Now that I've got several years of management experience under my belt, I'm looking at a civil service position with the Department of the Army, and still considering the possibility of a part-time position as a Medical Service Corps officer in the AF Reserve.

I've been out almost two years, and I'm yearning to go back to school (I can't believe I'm saying this!).

Cheers,

MandyMom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Originally posted by oz4lines
I studied horticulture in high school,

I studdied horticulture in high school and some in college. I thought that was the field I wanted to get into.
I applied at two jobs when I was 19 yrs, one working at a greenhouse and one working with kids. I got the one working with kids and have stayed with them. I now have a home daycare. I have a split level home with a walkout basement and have the daycare setup in the basement. I have been open a few weeks shy of a year and realy enjoy it. I have a 3 yr old daughter and working in this field has allowed me to always be with her, so that is a huge plus! I take care of four babies under the age of two. I sometimes get tired of the staying at home and all the cooking and cleaning, oh and DIAPERS!!!, but it pays well.
I may look into other fields when my daughter goes off to school:(. But it works for now!

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
I wanted to be an artist. I still do my artwork, but after graduating with a BFA, I worked at Berlitz (not art related) then at an auction house and now as an appraiser and private art dealer in business with my husband. I love what I do, but miss the office atmosphere, I need to be around more people everyday.

I am now looking to move into museum-related work and just started a national job search (scarey but exciting)!

Happy? Yes, mostly. But Sept 11th made me realize that I decided that I couldn't make a living as an artist before I even tried - bad bad bad. smashicon So if I can get a job in Washington DC or NY, I'd like to get my MFA with a minor in Arts Administration (so I can get higher pay at a museum or non-profit if I can't "quit the day job") and then seek gallery representation with the goal of eventually living as an artist full time.

There are a lot of professions I think I'd like though. One day (when I'm older) I'd like to write historical fiction on lives of great artists. My parents used to try to encourage me to be a lawyer because I could really fight well ... never forgot anything and could always turn their words against them :p But then again maybe they just wanted me not to starve :LOL:

As far as what I dreamed of doing as a kid, it was always art-related.

Marq-n-Marta

Boxer Booster
When I was young I wanted to be a marine biologist. However living in arizona most of my life made that difficult. So then I decided I wanted to be a vet. Well then I saw that I would have to deal with too much suffering. So okay I will become a pediatrition. So I started college as Pre Med. Well then my dad who is a doctor said that it was not worth it, he said I should go into nursing so that I can have more one on one, and hands on. Okay I say, so here I am I have a bachelors in nursing and work in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I love it but I am going back to school in the next year or so for Nurse anesthisiology, I would like to specialize in Neonates and Pediatrics. So that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Marta

S

Sandi

I've always found Forensics very interesting. I think I would love to be a Forensic Pathologist, Medical Examiner etc...

Currently holding degrees as a CPA, not once have I worked in the Private/Public sector, Just way to boring. My parents aren't very happy with that tho :)

I've audited Medical/Hospital records etc.. Most boring job ever :)

Thinking of returning to school and working towards Forensic Pathology.
I feel the need to follow my dream, no matter where it takes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.