1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jealous Boxer...should we add another?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by cama, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cama

cama Boxer Booster

It's been a while since I've posted a message here, but I read often. We have a 3 year old male Boxer whom we just adore - and who is spoiled rotten to the core! I adore him so much and would love to add a second Boxer - a female. I have found a breeder we like and they currently have a liter. We are thinking of going to see them this weekend - and that's my dilemma - you know if we go to see them, that's it - we will have a new "baby". So, I'm asking BEFORE I make the trip!

Here's the thing - Ponza has been about as perfect a Boxer as one can have -very easily trained, well-behaved, he was not a big chewer as a pup and he was always calm for the breed. (You all can see why I'd want another!) BUT, he's also very jealous. He gets along great with other dogs, but will run over quickly to us in a very possessive way if we are paying attention to another dog. He has NEVER shown any food aggression with us (his people) but we took in a stray about a year and a half ago (who sadly was very ill and passed away), but we did not bring her inside. He would play with her, but if we tried to feed her around him, he would growl and snap. But we did visit my Dad, who has 2 Chihuauas and he did well with them. Of course, they mainly cowered under the sofas! But we've never had the experience of having another dog in *our* house.

I would love thoughts and opinions. I think he would love having a canine playmate. If we do make the decision to add the second one, I'll have lots of questions regarding training the 2nd with the first around, the crate (will I need 2 since Ponza really doesn't use his anymore?), feeding, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Charlene

2. Liston&Sonny

Liston&Sonny Boxer Pal

This was the exact situation I was in. We have a 3 yr old jealous male who is absolutely spoiled but felt he may need a companion so we went and got a reversed brindle female. It was rocky at first as she learned the ropes but these last two and a half days have been great. I think it is a good idea but I will keep everyone posted as the days pass.

3. Hberry23

Hberry23 Boxer Buddy

I think having two is better...Sadie was 17 months when I got Star at three months old and to be honest they got along from the first day they met :) there is some jealousy and always will be I'm sure But the most important thing I was told is always put Sadie girl first until they figure it out on there own ;) it's worked out great ;) Sadie was also very spoiled, well trained, very layed back, well mannered...Star's a pistol but well mannered, I like that there personalities are different and training was easy!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

I had a 5 year old male(Spud) who was somewhat possesive when I got Kiddo. I was nervous about the whole thing but a crate is a wonderful thing.....I put Kiddo in the crate and sat beside her and encouraged Spud to sniff...then I slowly introduced them outside the crate and eventually they grew to be best friends...all the time I enforced Spud as being alpha dog of the two. The first 2 weeks took a lot of work,but it was a beautiful bonding.
    Wanda Kiddo & Chancey

5. BoxerLady83

BoxerLady83 Boxer Booster

A little long...

Hi there. Sounds like you have got a great dog. We have two and it's great fun. Our female who we had first is very jealous and spoiled rotten as well. She was two when we got Rawlee. They have gotten on wonderfully but he is starting to mature and they are having a little trouble deciding who is alpha dog. They seem to be working it out so far. Your dog being a male may also (being very territorial) may have a lot to do with his jealousy which is why he probably does well with dog's in someone elses home (territory). I read that if you introduce your new dog to your current dog in a new location (park, friends house, etc...) for both dog's and let them visit a little before you bring your new dog into current dog's home things will go smoother. I don't know if this works as well with puppies but it's an idea. Our main trouble right now is food. They have shared a bowl since Rawlee was a puppy and until now this has not been an issue. I would certainly suggest starting right away having separate food, water, crates, etc... That way your current baby does not feel he is losing his rank in the pack. We have enjoyed having our babies and it is great for them to have a good buddy. Best of luck. Be sure to share pictures if you get another one.

Mom To: Nyah (fawn female) & Rawlee (brindle male)

6. LilygirlCO

LilygirlCO Boxer Insane

Our Lily is a jealous Boxer when it comes to receiving attention. We brought her home a baby brother in December and she was excited to no end! But she was sooo jealous when he got attention and we held him and not her. She would try and climb up into our laps in between him and us. She even gets jealous when we are grooming him even though she hates it and cry up a storm because she wasn't being brushed. She's gave him stare-downs during meals only during the first few days (thinking his food was better and him thinking her food was better even though it was the same) but we nipped that in the butt really quick and she's learning to share the attention. :LOL: It's great having too, they have become best friends and it is great watching them play together.

Congratulations appicon I'm sure they will do great together!

7. tesster

tesster Boxer Insane

It usually isn't a problem to introduce a puppy into your home. As others have said, you should introduce them on neutral territory and start from the very beginning feeding them in separate bowls.

Additionally, go buy a new toy and bring it, along with one of your current dog's toys, when you go visit the potential new puppy. Let the puppy play with the new toy and get her scent all over it. Then bring that toy home to your current dog and leave your current dog's toy with the new puppy.

Play games with your current dog, incorporating the toy with the puppy's scent on it, to help him make positive associations with the puppy's scent. Do this often every day prior to the puppy's arrival.

You probably shouldn't have any major problems until the puppy starts to mature (around age 2). Your current dog will recognize that the puppy is a baby and let her get away with things he wouldn't tolerate from an older dog.

The most important thing is to create only positive associations with the puppy's presence. When you introduce them, have treats on hand (good ones). When he first sees the puppy, give him a treat. When he sniffs the puppy, give him a treat. When the puppy is around, treats should be forthcoming for appropriate behavior in the beginning. If he behaves inappropriately, separate them and treats stop, but be careful not to punish him. You're teaching him that all good things happen when the puppy is around and nothing good happens when she's not around. See?

I say go for it!

8. cama

cama Boxer Booster

Thanks, Everyone...

First, thank you all for your feedback. I have really felt that with some work, it would really be a wonderful thing, and that is what I'm gathering from all of you. I have done a good bit of reading about bringing another dog into the family, but it's always good to hear about other people's experiences.

WEll, I called to ask some questions and I went to see the puppies. Oh, my, goodness - they are so cute and sweet!! I really want a Female Brindle and 2 are available. One is really quiet and sweet and has a black mask. The other is a more outgoing and playful and is flashy (very striking). If it were just me, I'd probably choose the black mask because of her personality, but the Flashy one is strikingly gorgeous and probably a better fit for my family. I'm really torn.

DH and I are going to have a long talk about it tonight and make sure it's the right time to add a new puppy. Then, if we make that decision, we'll all go and see them this weekend. I'll have another 2 weeks before I'd bring her home, so I'll have plenty of time to come here and gather more information.

Thanks,
    Charlene and Ponza (3 year old flashy fawn)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.