1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jake ate a dryer sheet

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Mesquite, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesquite

Mesquite Boxer Booster

Good Lord! Trying to get clothes out of the dryer. Jake, of course, has to be in the middle of it all and immediately snatches the used dryer sheet. Usually he runs off with them and/or drops them after a minute. This time he plunks right down beside the clothes basket with the dryer sheet as I continue empting the dryer, and then I hear him gulp and the dryer sheet is gone! AAACK! Crazy dog. Are boxers part goat or what????

Well, I keep an eye on him to see if he has any adverse affects. No vomiting. No diarrhea. Guess he's okay. For all I know it's already passed through him and his insides are all "spring fresh" now.

2. sinsa

sinsa Banned

I think that most dryer sheets are made of waxes and oils some of which come from animal fats. She should be fine. If she hasn't pooed when she normally does then you may want to take her to the vet. But the sheet should break down enough to pass.

If you are unsure you can try feeding her a can of cooked pumpkin. Not the yams but just the plain pie filling. That will allow her to pass the undigested parts of the dryer sheet.

I would start working on a sit and stay command. Mine aren't allowed in the kitchen/laundry/bath areas for many reasons. They sit and wait patiently at the doors as I do what I need to get done. Sometimes I look down and find one or all three of them at my feet but I usually can just point and they go back the way they came with their heads low. (I won't ever allow them to know that it does work and it does make me sad)

3. Mesquite

Mesquite Boxer Booster

Thanks for the advice. He seems to be fine - all systems in working order.

Yes, you're right. It is time to get his started on training.

4. sinsa

sinsa Banned

Sorry I meant HE

5. iluvfrankie

iluvfrankie Completely Boxer Crazy

my girl does that with cleaning cloths.....only yellow ones tho...she rips them up and then eats them. We changed to pink ones and she has no interest....weird!

6. NateBazooka

NateBazooka Boxer Booster

: /

Yup. Part goat.

Kevin likes to eat kleenex. I could easily see him going after a dryer sheet.

If you haven't already, you should work on the "drop it!" and "leave it!" commands. Kevin is ok with the "leave it" one, but he's really good at obeying "drop it!", and that makes me happy. I hated having to chase him down to figure out what he'd been nomming on. A couple of short sessions working on (and rewarding) drop it, and an occasional reinforcer treat every now and then (especially when he's really good and drops something that I know he *really* wants), and it's a lot easier to keep him from eating stuff he shouldn't. And me from having to pick stuff out of his butt.

7. cdnbxrlvr

cdnbxrlvr Boxer Buddy

LMAO!!! Part goat... lol...
    I thought it was only Roxy with this goat gene... she seems to have an obsession with wet wipes, yip the kind you use on babies... imagine a crack addict on a corner waiting for a fix... this is how Roxy reacts at the sight of a wet wipe!

8. iluvfrankie

iluvfrankie Completely Boxer Crazy

Kevin is the cutest name ever!!!

Picking stuff out of the butt is never good and they always seem to do it when out on a walk when the traffic is stopped and everyone is watching!

9. Boxercompa

Boxercompa Boxer Pal

Haha boxers are definitely unpredictable. I can relate to your dryer sheet chase. I let Mona (12weeks) out for play around the house last night and i forgot to close my bedroom door (I use little foamy orange earplugs to sleep). Well I left them next to my bed and she ran right to them as I chased her. Lol!! She got them and gulped them down faster than I could open her mouth. Of course this morning I saw they were intact through her digestive system as they were returned during her morning bowel movement. I will not be using those 2 earplugs again.

10. beccahurley

beccahurley Boxer Pal

My boxer (Hurley) does the same thing. Well kind of the same thing. She doesn't ever swallow them, but she loves to chew on dryer sheets. Just when I think that I have thrown them all away she will have pulled one out of the trash or gets one from her hiding spot. It doesn't matter if I give her all the chew toys in the world....she just loves dryer sheets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.