1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tucker TOO skinny?!!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by SillyTucker, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SillyTucker

SillyTucker Boxer Booster

At 10 weeks he's 18lbs....bigger then his brothers and sisters but he's so ribby!! I know that they are a lean breed and his dad looks just like him just on a bigger scale but I wanted some other opinions...here's a few pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/JustMe25/Tucker/IMG_2822.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/JustMe25/Tucker/IMG_2843.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/JustMe25/Tucker/IMG_2786.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/JustMe25/Tucker/IMG_2788.jpg

* Just to add...he eats Acana Prairie Harvest, 3/4c 3 x a day and he's very muscular already

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

He does look a little on the skinny side - which is not uncommon for boxer puppies, they grow so fast and are so active. I wouldn't worry too much as long as he is putting on weight. You could always add some extra protein to his diet, a scrambled egg (or raw) here and there, some sardines or mackerel, lean meat or chicken.

He is super cute lovicon

3. Clavin

Clavin Boxer Booster

He's going to be just fine. You can already see in the one picture how muscular he is going to be.

He's very cute and will have many growing spurts over the next year or so.

4. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

My 15 week old boxer puppy looks skinny like that too. He'll gain a little weight, then get taller and look skinny again. And this will continue for the next year. He's increased in height by 4 inches since we brought him home.

I feed TOTW. Some days he eats like a pig and others he turns his nose up. I use chicken to get him in his crate when I go to work (just so it's special) and good for him.

I would say if he always cleans out his bowl he might need more food. Maybe an extra meal though. I know th e one day I fed my guy too much at dinner because he was still looking for food, and let me tell you, what came out of him wasn't pretty!

Also, he might need wormed again just to be sure. My guy was wormed one last time at 12 weeks.

5. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

Rowdy looked like that when he was that age. He is still ribby. I wouldn't worry he will fill out.

6. johann

johann Boxer Insane

His is adorable. :) Maybe a tiny bit skinny, but not too bad.

I might try adding a bit more food to see if it helps (maybe up to 1 cup in AM and 3/4 cup in PM). But, if he starts to get runny poop, then back to the 3/4 cup twice a day.

7. SillyTucker

SillyTucker Boxer Booster

He doesn't finish what I feed him at least once a day so I don't think he's hungry. His food does have a high protein content but I'll try the egg or chicken and see if that makes a difference. Those pics were a few weeks old and he has filled out a bit since then but he's still so skinny!!

8. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

He is skinny, but that's pretty normal for boxer puppies at that age :) I remember Caney as a puppy, from about 10 weeks old up until she was at least 6 months old, people probably thought we were starving her because she was skin and bones. She was fed 3 good meals daily, some days she'd finish everything that was given to her and some days she wouldn't.

He will fill out with time, but probably not anytime soon ;) so don't stress over it too much. They're just naturally lean dogs. If he sometimes doesn't finish all of his food then that should tell you that he's not starving, and as long as he's growing normally and acting healthy then I would not start feeding him other things just to get him to eat more. It's fine to use meat or other high-value food as treats for training, but mixing things in with his kibble will more likely just make him a picky eater.

9. vonsteinboxr

vonsteinboxr Boxer Buddy

I have a 15 week old who is very ribby as well. Everyone keeps saying she looks too skinny. The girl loves to eat though! It seems like just when she starts to gain weight she has a growth spur and there goes all my hard work! I have always found that Tomlyn's Nutri-Cal Puppy formula to be helpful because it's a high calorie supplement. I add salmon oil to her food as well. I am going to start feeding her a hard boiled egg a day. Boxer puppies definitely need protein rich food to get them to fill out more. My friend's breeder recommended a diet that she uses to bulk up her show dogs called "weight on". Its given raw and they are basically meatballs but she said it works. I hope you can see this link; Weight-On.

10. xJazerx

xJazerx Super Boxer

He does look a lil ribby, but he doesn't look unhealthy. I wouldn't be concerned as long as you are feeding him enough. My pup is basically the same age and is deff heavier, he's not at all overweight, but he's not ribby either... I feed him Purina Pro Plan (puppy) dry with Select Gold (puppy) wet mixed in, 3x a day (morning/night have a larger serving). Both have very good ingredients & he LOVES it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.