1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this normal

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Skidmoretx, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skidmoretx

Skidmoretx Boxer Buddy

Well I got a flashy brindle puppy. He's fixing to be 4 months on the 25th and he's gaining weight like crazy. He's gaining somewhat 2.5-3 lbs a week. He's weighing 29 lbs now. His paws are huge they look like an adult dogs paws. It's this healthy? I mean you can still see his ribs and he's very active. His dad is over 90 lbs and his mom is over 70. Do you think he's just going to be huge? My other boxers were little compared to him.

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Boxers are meant to be a medium sized breed, which is probably why your others were smaller, but if his parents were that large then yes he'll be big too. It is normal for their legs/paws to be out of proportion at this age, they grow into them.

Because he is going to be large, it is important that he is being fed either an adult food or a large breed puppy food. Not just a regular puppy food. With bigger dogs that have a lot of growing to do, you want to make sure that their growth is slow and steady - most puppy foods do the opposite and lead to too rapid growth, which isn't good for their bones.

3. Skidmoretx

Skidmoretx Boxer Buddy

Yes he is fed a large breed puppy food. He's pretty active although he just started being active he was pretty lazy before.

4. ecre

ecre Boxer Pal

Hello...I have a boxer puppy born on Nov. 24, 2013 (sounds about the same timeline as your puppy). When he had his shots about 3 weeks ago, he weighed 30 pounds! I was quite shocked because while he seems large, he is by no means overweight. His parents were also large, so I'm expecting him to be a bit larger than the "standard" boxer. Our last boxer was also large - averaging 100 pounds from about 4 years through the rest of his life. He was SOLID and very healthy.

So to answer your question, I don't think this large size is "the norm" but it certainly in my range of normal! LOL

Thank goodness I love these BIG boys!

5. Craigccfc

Craigccfc Boxer Pal

My boy weighs just over 18lbs at 11 weeks and looks all skin and bone .......has very long legs!! Gonna be a big boy I think

6. Bathel

Bathel Super Boxer

90 lbs is really big for a boxer male and 70 is slightly big for a female (if they are no overfeed).

The AKC shows a breed standard size of Adult males 23 to 25 inches; females 21½ to 23½ inches at the withers. At those sizes the average weights are: Males 60 - 70 pounds (27 - 32 kg) Females 53 - 65 pounds (24 - 29 kg).

As you can see, at 90 lbs for your Sire (if not just over feed), is a big boy. There is nothing "wrong" with that... just not in the typical breed standard. Your dam is pretty close to the top end of the standard... As such, you would expect an offspring of above average standard...

As for the weight gain... it typically goes in spurts... gaining a good bit and then holding level for a few weeks... however, there seems to be nothing "typical" in the way the pups weights are... they vary a good bit from pup to pup and don't always have any parallel to final size/weight.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.