Is that REALLY an APBT or a boxer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Boxer Insane
I was at Petco this weekend and glanced at the display of calendars, datebooks, etc. I saw a boxer (or so I thought) on the cover of a datebook. I picked it up and the title was "American Pit Bull Terriers." I figured it must be a mistake. :confused:

Flipping through it, all the photos inside were obviously APBTs, but the cover photo looked like an uncropped fawn boxer to me.
Granted, the cover photo was just a head shot, and maybe not the best "specimen" of a boxer.

I have never understood how people could confuse a boxer and pit bull. Now I'm not so sure. :o

Has anyone else seen this? Am I going crazy, or does it not look like a boxer?

JulieM

Boxer Insane
It does look like a Boxer. (I'm guessing this is the book you're talking about: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=lib_dp_TFCV/104-4707402-3251910#reader-link)

If you look more closely (and adjust the brightness/contrast on the image!) you can see that the muzzle is longer and narrower than an ideal Boxer muzzle, and the ears are smaller and higher set. APBTs also have a scissors bite, they are not undershot like Boxers are.

The breeds do have similar roots, though, and the...well...let's say "less-focused-on-the-standard" examples....of each breed may look quite similar.

SuzanneC

Super Boxer
When I was younger, I had a dog who was registered with the AKC as a Boxer, but looked so much like an APBT that I'm fairly convinced she was a mix. I've submitted a photo of her to my member gallery so you can offer your opinions when it's up.

Linda

Boxer Insane
Thanks Julie

That is the photo I saw, but it was on a datebook.

I agree it's not 100% up to boxer standard, but it looked more like a (poorly-bred) boxer to me than an APBT, especially, at first-glance. :p

At least I'm not going crazy. :)

Adelle

Boxer Insane
I was in Petco today on my lunch and saw the very same book, I picked it up because I thought it was about boxers also because of the photo on the cover and then realized it said APBT on it. So yes now I can understand why people some times mistake boxers for APBT.

Status
Not open for further replies.