Is my new dog going to eat our 2 cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matilda8255

Boxer Insane
Jennifer is in the Gulph Mills/Radnor area. I have also heard some not so nice things about the "city" SPCA but she lives in a really nice suburban neighborhood with lots of moola so you would hope that they had their s**t togethor. Apparently not. I love the name Auggie too and he is one cute little terror. I think he will be much happier in a house with no pesky cats. She did mention he might be part boxer and my dad said he has quite a right hook.:D He loves all other dogs so being placed in a home with another furbuddie may be perfect for him.

conn

Super Boxer
Hello all,
I finally got my own ID:) Rescue did not mention coming to evaluatie Augie. They asked if he got along with other dogs and for me to send pictures. I have not heard back from them. Augie met my parents Old English Sheepdog and Puli last night and they all had a blast so I am not sure what the SPCA meant when they said he did not really get along with large dogs, maybe they meant extra large dogs but he got along well with the old english and the puli did not pay him much mind (she is an olderlady). When I got him home I decided he should be tired enough to see the cats so I cracked the bedroom door and he actually just laid there. He stared but got distracted by the turtle who was cruising his tank, so, he actually did get distracted which I thought was good. He also couldn't figure out which cat to stare at so his eyes were not fixed on either one...no growling and no lunging (he was exhausted from the playdate)I know, maybe I am grasping at straws here but we just love him so much and he seems to have taken to us quite fondly as well..:(

bustermom

Boxer Insane
A tired Boston is a good Boston... :D

I've noticed how much better behaved mine are when they're exhausted - and it's not easy to wear out a BT! :LOL:

You may very well be able to overcome the cat issue, esp. if you're so dedicated. appicon Frankly, it sounds like you guys are in love with li'l Augie and if he loves you back, then it's worth trying. Just keep him on a leash to be on the safe side, and make sure the kitties always have an escape route.

Wear him out as much as you can, then try the intros again (cat on lap, dog on leash, treats when he behaves or looks away). In time things may very well work out.

Good luck and keep us posted either way!

ssleighter

Completely Boxer Crazy
Originally posted by bustermom
...and make sure the kitties always have an escape route.
I just wanted to point out that just because they have an escape route, cats don't always use it so you have to be careful. We have 3 cat doors now on 3 rooms, they are less than 2-3 feet apart as the doors are very close at the end of a hallway. We originally had 1 door, but Morgan kept getting trapped in the hallway, so we thought we'd make it easier on her. It didn't work, apparently she is going to get her back up against a wall and fight whether there's an easy way out or not! Remember, they do have itty bitty kitty brains... :D

conn

Super Boxer
Arrrrgggghhhh!!! I just don't know what to do. I am so torn. Rescue has not gotten back to us (and I can't say that I am that dissapointed) however, I have a friend who asked around her office and about 6 people have already emailed me that they are interested in Augie. I have not gotten back to any of them yet. I think we are going to give it one more try as you suggested. Tonight, we will try the cat on the lap introduction again (keep your fingers and toes crossed for us:). Maybe we will use the bigger cat this time..the other times we have used the smaller kitty (she is easier to catch!!). Any opinions on placing the dog ourselves instead of going through rescue (it would be to a co-worker of a friend so the people would be in the area and accessible should something go wrong)? Obviously, we would require them to come to our house (maybe even we should go to their homes...) and go through a vigorous interview etc...as you all know, i am hoping it does not come to that but was curious about everyones opinions.....thanks again for everyones support, I think this board is helping to keep me sane!!:D

bustermom

Boxer Insane
All fingers and paws crossed!

And Maggie sends a stern barking to Augie telling him to behave. She rules our 6month boxer (read "clumsy ox" :rolleyes: ) with an iron paw and is quite good at keeping the pack in line.

She also says cats taste terrible and he should stick to squirrels. :D

When you do the intros, work on keeping yourself calm - you're bound to be anxious so do everything you can to send the dog calming signals. Slow movements, gentle voice, just watch the TV or whatever and don't let them know how important this is. No scolding, nothing loud as that will just him riled up. Start with him on the far side of the room on a leash. Praise/treat him for remaining calm or playing with another toy. This actually sounds like a great opportunity for a soup bone!! Put a towel down (what can I say - I like to keep the carpets clean...) with a soup bone on it and let him gnaw on that (on leash with someone else) while you hold the kitty in your lap.

If you can get to the point where they're in the same room and ignoring each other, that's a huge step! It's better for all concerned if the cat is just "part of the furniture" or "a thing that lives here too" as opposed to a chew toy or prey.

The more time they spend in the same room, each getting wonderful things (treats, soup bones, toys, praise), the better the chances of them acclimating to each other's presence.

It's going to be a long process, and there will probably be setbacks, but if you're up for it then good luck!!

conn

Super Boxer
thank you and i will do my best to keep calm..although i don't think i have known calm in over a month i will try, i know it is important. I have also broken down and called a professional trainer. He will be contacting me tomorrow for an initial question answer session and then we will decide if we are going to go through with bringing him to the house for a 2hour session. Thanks Maggie and bustermom, I agree, kitties probably taste terrible!! oh, what are soup bones? are these the bones you can fill up with peanut butter and other treats?

matilda8255

Boxer Insane
Kongs are the rubber ones you fill w/ peanut butter. Soup bones you can get at the butcher. They are big bones that won't break or splinter so you can give them to Auggie. Give them to him raw he will love them. :D The trainer sounds like a good idea. They will be able to evaluate Auggie and tell you whether they think it will work out for you.

myrocky

Boxer Insane
appicon appicon

You go girly! I am glad to hear you are trying to work this out :) Remember to keep Auggie on lead when you do the intros tonight because if he does decide to have a taste you will need to be able to grab him quick.

If you do a search here on kitties and such you will find info regarding them having their own space (which is important and was mentioned above ;) ) Also if it does come down to you having to rehome him I will be happy to give you some tips in that area. Like questions to ask the interested party and what to look for at their home :)

How old is Auggie? We went through this when Rocks was a baby. They would stare then the chase was on. He didn't want to hurt her but he was trying to box with her :rolleyes: A few bites to his chest or his toe (cause that is all Jing can reach) and he learned Jing means business :p :p

I know where Gulph Mills is :D When I was a case worker I had a few in that area.

conn

Super Boxer
those clapping hands really crack me up! MyRocky I would appreciate any and all tips if it does indeed come to that...I want to be as prepared as possible to find him the best place I can. Augie will most definately be leashed this evening and we will have treats abound. I also asked my husband to pick up a soup bone if he could..distractionary tactics:D Augie is 3years 3months and like Rocky, he really may just want to play but he is soooo strong and as my sister stated, "has a heck of a right hook" he is also extremely excitable (unlike boxers ha ha) and 36lbs of muscle so we fear that if he does not bite them, he could crush them just with rough play (i don't think he knows how to play any other way). Yes, Gulph Mills, we live almost directly above the hanging rock if you are familiar with it. I will let you all know how it goes and thanks again for the suggestions
trying to keep cool:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.