Is it too late for another Boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynthia76

Boxer Booster
It's never too late! We got Bella when Bowzer turned 3. Bowzer is pretty agressive towards new dogs, but once he is around them for a bit, he is fine. Bella is about a year old, maybe a little older (she is a rescue, so we aren't sure how old she is), and they get along GREAT!

Scorpio

Boxer Insane
Hi there, I don't think its too late! I got Ozzy and my rottie is 41/2 and it couldn't be better, Ryker keeps Ozzy quiet and sort of teaches him the good things. He washes him and takes care of him, he is a real God send and hes not jealous at all, they treated the same thats important, just like bringing home another skin kid.

karens

Boxer Insane
We adopted Spencer two years ago when my oldest, Nikki, was six. When I went to rescue, I was looking for a personality that I knew Nikki could handle, and the clouds parted.. and the angels sang, and there was my boy!

I initially wanted to get a rescue because (they need homes!! and) we got Emma as a puppy when Nikki was five and she was running low on tolerance for Emma's one year old antics.

If you do decide to get a playmate, just make sure you know what Cassius can handle in a buddy!

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
It is Never Too Late!!

We adopted Kailee when Buddy was 7 1/2 yrs old, Kailee had just turned 2 the week before we adopted her. It was the best thing we could have done!!
Buddy and Kailee took to each other like peas and carrots, and Buddy became the young acting puppy he used to be. Finally he had a live in playmate, who kept him very active.
Buddy passed away just a short 6 months later, but I live in peace knowing he had that 6 months of boxer companionship. Best thing we ever could have done for both Kailee and Buddy.

So IMO getting that second boxer is a great idea regardless of the age of your present boxer. As long as Cassius is secure in his relationship with you, I foresee no real big time jealousy issues. Good luck

Jean

MizBev

Boxer Insane
I say go for it too....

I am with Jean. I don't think the age really matters. We had Rocko and we weren't sure of his age but we think he was about 9 or 10 and we got Five and she was about 4 or 5 (unwanted doggies, both of them). They fell madly in love and would even spoon when they were sleeping. I am positive that Rocko's last 8 months with his little love were the best of his life.

Bev

Bev, Tyson

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
They fell madly in love and would even spoon when they were sleeping.

I forgot about this pic! If you click on my gallery you will see one titled Under his wing!! This is how Buddy and Kailee cuddled as they slept. Now if that isn't proof enough it can work nothing is. A picture is always better than words. ;)

Jean

KarenD

Boxer Booster
I got Maxxie when Rocky was 4 years old. He was very jealous the first 3 days, tolerated her for another 3 days, and then became Maxxie's best friend and constant playmate. They love each other and have become inseparable. It is also a lot of fun for me to see them both so happy and playful.

I do make sure that Rocky knows that he is the alpha dog and the number 1 dog in the house. I say hi to him 1st, I feed him 1st, I pet him 1st...

Hope this helps.

BXR MOM

Boxer Booster
I think it depends on the dog. Lexus was six years old when I got Lucy as a seven week old pup. Although there are days when I know Lexus wonders "why did you do this to me," I actually think having Lucy has taken years off her life. Lexus used to be such a couch potato. Now, although Lucy would rather her play more, Lexus will often get her rear end off the couch and go outside and run and box with her. I also think Lexus likes having the company!

Status
Not open for further replies.