Is he getting enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggirl84

Boxer Booster
I posted awhile back on how I couldn't ever get Cooper to eat. We tried everything it would literally take us all day to get him to eat half of what he was supposed to eat in a day. Anyways, when he got completly switched to Canidae he started inhaling his food, literally! He's 8 months now and the recommened amount for him on the back of the bag is 2-3 cups. I have been feeding him 1 cup 3 times a day but he comes to get me all day long and makes me follow him to where his food is kept and lays down in front of the door and cries for more. He is an extremely active dog and we have a huge backyard and another puppy that he runs around with all day and then every night the next door neighbor brings his dog over for an hour or two and they run the entire time so I'm just wondering if since he's so active if I should increase his food intake or if the 3 cups figured by Canidae figures into the dogs activity level? Thanks!

The recommendation on the bag is just that--a recommendation--some dogs will need a bit more, some a bit less. You can probably safely up his food a bit, if he a very active dog, and is truly that hungry still after feedings. Just keep an eye on his weight and if he appears to be gaining too much, cut it back.

sidhewlf said:
I would try 2 cups twice a day...
How old is your dog and how much does he weigh? My older boy eats 1 1/2 cups dry with 1/2 cup canned mixed in for breakfast and the same for dinner. He is 5 months and weighs about 45 lbs.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
What does he look like? Is he too thin, too fat, or is he just about right?

How hungry he appears to be, or how much he likes his food is not what you should be using as an indicator of whether or not you're feeding him the right amount. His weight is what should dictate that. If he is not too thin, and is not losing weight, then he does not need more food. Active or not, overfeeding will simply make your dog fat ;) If, on the other hand, he's excessively ribby, then a small amount more is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.