1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INFO ON ACE

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Badassboxer, Aug 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badassboxer

Badassboxer Guest

I am trying to save $ when getting Debo neutered ($190) at my vet versus $55 at a "clinic" name given to me - I called and requested that they not use ACE - the lady told me that they do use ACE and they neuter many Boxers...I called my local Boxer Rescue and she explained that using ACE in combiniation with something else will slow their heart rate, but ACE by its self is okay...don't quote me - I'm going to call again Sunday to make sure I have that right - what is the deal with ACE and Boxers I thought it was an ABSOLUTE NO-NO...??? Does anyone have any real info on this???

Thanks!

------------------
    Asy
    Debo's Mom
    01/23/2000
    Brindle, male, nat. ears

2. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

When I talked to my vet a couple of weeks ago about spaying Kira I asked him if he uses ACE. He does not. He said that it is a type of tranquilizer that is very harmful for boxers. I was very lucky when he cropped Kira's ears because I didn't know anything about ACE. He did. I have to drive 45 minutes to his office but that's okay because I trust him and he knows about boxers.

------------------
    Kira-born 2/4/00, female, plain fawn, cropped, docked, and about to be spayed.
    Rocko- big brother to Kira, black lab, adopted at 2 years old, nuetered, born 3/2/95

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Some boxers seem to be able to deal with ACE okay. That vet must have been lucky so far. Give the vet copies of the articles on ACE and if she still insists on using it, I would go elsewhere. It's just not worth the risk.

------------------
    Jan
    Markus, dark brindle
    neutered male, 6 yrs old

[This message has been edited by Jan (edited 08-04-2000).]

5. Badassboxer

Badassboxer Guest

Thanks all - Krikkit - I read all those articles, and I'm confused as to what the lady (Boxer Rescue) told me, I HAVE to call her to find out. It's either when you mix it or when used straight - I don't remember, but from what I gather it's bad all around. I won't be putting Debo there, I'll come up with the $190!

I'm just thinking out loud here, but she's in Boxer Rescue - she's REALLY good, I've seen her in action, she really cares about her dogs and wants to see Debo neutered - she also shows her dogs - but wonder why she isn't staying TOTALLY away from this ACE stuff...I'll post more Monday, after I talk to her

BTW: I'll be joining her to a Boxer Rescue meeting next Wednesday, I'm totally excited!!!! Yeah!

6. Amy Lyn

Amy Lyn Super Boxer

Thank you very much for this topic, Wagner is getting neutered in a week and a half and I'm going to call the vet today about the use of ACE.

------------------
    Amy Lyn
    Wagner (Fawn, black mask) b: 04/25/00
    Clark (Fawn, black mask) b: 03-11-99 (Rainbow Bridge 05-06-00)

7. MajorMom

MajorMom Boxer Booster

Yes, thanks for this post! We went to the vet today to get his rabies and last shots and I asked the doc about ACE and he said that he doesn't use it. He was also glad I read up on these things. (So thank you! [​IMG]) Major has to be neutered because he is a cryptorchid (where only one testicle drops). And he is more prone to getting cancer in that one that hasn't made the trip. So he only has a couple of weeks left of being a man/boy. [​IMG] He will soon be an "it"! [​IMG] He also weighed in at 29 lbs!! [​IMG] He's getting up there. Anyways, thanks for the post!

------------------
    Major-4/10/00, red fawn male, black mask, white bib, white paws, natural ears, docked, STINKER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.