1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indoor cat vaccinations

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by BoxerMoments, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

We've had our new kitten for about 2 months now and he has been a great addition to our family! Dakota and the new kitty get along great! Better then I could have hoped and they play together quite often and it's jjust too funny to watch! :)

My question is.. If he is going to be 100% an indoor cat what does he need for vaccinations or does he even really need any? He's had a few already and I was just wondering if it's even necessary since he will be staying inside at all times? Also, the vet said even thought he's inside he should be on a monthly heartworm/flea preventative.. is that really needed too? I have no problem doing any of these things and him getting vaccinations but I was wondering if anyone had some insight into this. Of course the vets reccommend he's gets all his shots anyways but I have also talked to some people who have had different opinions and saying that they don't really matter for indoors cats.

2. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

I don't have my indoor cat vaccinated. Our last inside cat lived for 18 years with no problems. Our current inside cat came from a shelter so she was up to date on everything when we got her but I haven't taken her in for any updates. Mine never leaves the confines of the house either. The dogs and the outside cat have all of their vacs so I don't see how the inside one could be exposed to any diseases. I'm sure that there are many people who disagree with that thinking but it has worked for me!

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I avoid vaccinations wherever possible, personally I would skip it all together for an indoor-only cat. Pets are grossly over-vaccinated these days and it has a serious negative impact on their health. I don't see any reason for an indoor cat to be on HW preventative either. And I would only treat for fleas if and when she happens to get them. Just my opinion. :)

4. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

Thank you for your replies! :) From the majority of people I've talked to they've also been saying the same as you both and also talking to my mother we had a cat when I was younger who they never vaccinated past initial kitten vaccination and he lived to be 16 years old and the two cats that she had more recently she kept up with on vaccinations (not saying this is the reason why) only lived to be 8 or 9ish. My boxer is kept up to date on all his vaccinations and his flea, tick and heartworm meds so I was also thinking that there wouldn't be much of a chance of him bringing too much into that house. We just had to kitty neutered and they wouldn't admit him without all bloodwork and vaccinations being done prior so he just got a full round of first vaccinations but I think those will probably be the last that he gets.

Here are some new recent pictures of him...
    http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/dmg735/DSC01016.jpg

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/dmg735/DSC01015.jpg

Playing with his favorite kong tiger toy..
    http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/dmg735/DSC01019.jpg

And one of him and Dakota..
    http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/dmg735/DSC01011.jpg

5. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

Your kitten is beautiful!

6. Kaybie's Mom

Kaybie's Mom Boxer Insane

I have 3 indoor cats. One of them has never had any shots whatsoever, she was my DH's cat before we met. One of them had shots (distemper/rabies) as a kitten when she got spayed but has never had any more since and never will. The third cat was a stray we just took in a few months ago and he got his rabies shot when he got neutered but nothing else and we have no intentions of ever vaccinating him any further either. Growing up, our indoor cats were never vaccinated either. I figure unless a rabid racoon bursts through the window, they are pretty safe LOL. I do not do flea/tick treatments on any of my pets unless they pick up fleas. No need to put poison on them every month for no reason....just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.