1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In serious need of help..Recurring Colitis for my 6 month old Puppy..truly exhausted

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by theeasyee, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theeasyee

theeasyee Boxer Pal

Hello everybody, I am in some serious need of help. My puppy olive has been dealing with colitis for several months and i just dont know what to do anymore. First off she is healthy otherwise, but continues to have loose/bloody stools on a consistent basis.

Here is Olives story. When she was around 3 months she had a bladder infection with resulted in blood in the urine. I took her to my local vet when i noticed the problem and around that same time she was having very trace amounts of blood in the stool. This is the start of all her problems. After some antibiotics the bladder infection would clear..then reoccur after the antibiotics where gone.

Eventually my doctor found struvite crystals in the urine and said the diet was causing this problem. All this time her stools have been getting worse and blood intensity was increasing. It was clear this was becoming a serious problem. We put her on science diet via our doctors recommendation, i really didnt want to do it, but i must admit i gave her some reliefe. We then went to natural balance as her primary source of diet as she had not wanted the science diet anymore. Anyways after some research i tried some home remedies that may or may not have worked but eventually the bladder stopped becoming an issue. Now we are struggling with her colitis after my local doctor telling me to just keep putting her on science diet and seeing no improvement we had to go get a second opinion. We went to Dr. butchko who is extremely reputable and we really didn't learn anything here either. It was very frustrating. The doctor got a radiograph of her to make sure there wasn't obstructions. There wasnt. She said the intestines where slightly large probably because she was irritated. Here we came to the conclusion that the colitis needed to become the primary treatment. We got ALOT of different intestinal antibiotics that helped alot. But the most current development is that the diarrhea and blood is back again. Brings a tear to my eye.

I have had no continuous improvements in her case and its so sad to me. So im asking you guys to help me out with suggestions on what to do. I know raw diet should be considered, but just dont know how realistic that is. Natural balance is good food and supposed to be good on her tummy. I have also tried some plain chicken breast and white rice..that slightly helped. Tried pumpkin that made it way worse. Some of the meds i can think of are Flagyl, omxi-clav, and something called alban suspension. BTW she is a happy dog and besides these issues is very healthy. She is active, gaining weight, and drinking water. So any comments will be greatly appreciated, actually i dont even know if i cant explain how much i appreciate any feed back. Thanks Ahead of time!

2. jonmswit

jonmswit Boxer Buddy

Have you tested for worms? At 7 months old our girl Bailey had an episode of Colitis. Then again during this past July, at 14 months old, she started getting the very watery and bloody diarrhea. We assumed it was the Colitis again, but our vet took a stool sample and determined that she had a case of Whipworms.

3. SherylM

SherylM Completely Boxer Crazy

Assuming your vet has ruled out worms and giarrdia, have you discussed HUC? Histiocytic ulcerative colitis, otherwise known as "boxer colitis" could be the culprit. If you search these forums and google HUC you may find that the symptoms are the same. My Lucy has HUC and my vet was willing to give the medication without the expensive biopsy first. Also, a lot of vets may not be famliar with HUC as it pertains to boxers. My vet wasn't and I actually brought the information to her. She was grateful for the info and immediately started treatment for Lucy. The antibiotic baytril is used to treat HUC. The medication is expensive but worth every penny when you finally see your boxer baby having firm, normal stools.

Here are a couple links for you (hopefully it's okay to post these)

Histiocytic Colitis - WSAVA 2007 Congress

In this link there is a small spot at the bottom pertaining to HUC

Colitis

4. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

I know you will get some great advices here. I cannot help much on this subject.. but wanted to send you and your girl a bunch of ((((((((healing vibes)))))))))

angelicon

5. elgerdes

elgerdes Completely Boxer Crazy

My experience with this problem is limited but...

Zoe had a nasty bout of the runs when she was 2.5 mo, and we checked her for worms (negative), did the SD food (helped, but not a ton) and eventually we switched her food. She was on Wellness and we switched to TOTW. The food switch did it. Even if they are on a great quality food, sometimes their tummies can't handle it. I would try switching the food slowly and checking her for worms (if you haven't).

Good luck and we are sending healing (((vibes))) and some boxer wiggles :)

6. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

I delt with this when we had delila ( foster ) hers was a VERY advanced case (among a host of other serious issues) after trying several LI foods , non helped , I ended up home cooking for her. boiled chicken & oatmeal. those ended up being the only foods she could eat. we never totally got it under control ( she had alot of other things going on )

I would give the chicken n rice ( or oatmeal ) a try for a mo or so ... then try adding a small bit of kibble in slowley . we also added phsylium ( sp ) and it was a tree something root . cant recall - but i herd about it here ( i will look at some of my old threads n see if I can find the name ) these helped ALOT

home cooking is not hard. all I did was boil a bunch of chicken breast - say enough for 3/4 days, shread them up , put in dish in fridge. the make some instant oatmeal each day ( heat n mix up ) of course sam had to have a bit also - but no biggy , i just put some chicken in with his kibble ( he loved it )

other members will chime in with some great advice , we have several that have been dealing with this for years , they know TONS of tips !

keep us posted !

7. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

My guess is with all the antibiotics she has been on and for so long a time, she doesn't have any of the "good bacteria" left in her body. I would get a good probiotic and start giving it to her. Most vets carry FortiFlora, or you can go online and get some something. The nice thing about the FortiFlora is it comes in premeasured packets, so you just open and pour on the food. Also psyllium might help. It is a fiber you can get at many grocery store or vitamin shops. It helped my boy Thor when he had issues. Just a tsp on top of his food and a little water did wonders. Good luck! Sending lots of healthy (((((vibes))))) to Olive!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. theeasyee

theeasyee Boxer Pal

Thanks for the comment. Yes we actually got a dewormer from our last visit to the vet when we got the antibiotics. She recommended giving it to her just in case which we did.

9. theeasyee

theeasyee Boxer Pal

Wow. Thanks so much for this info and links extremly helpful. Your right she does seem to have all the indications of this HUC. Makes sense into why the vet saw slightly inflamed intestines. My Vet did mention something about boxers being predisposed to colitis but Im not sure if this is what she meant ill have to try and get my hands on those meds and see how it helps!

10. theeasyee

theeasyee Boxer Pal

Thanks for your feedback! The idea of probiotics has been tossed around in my head after finding info about it on this forum, im just worried if i give it to her it will just irritate her stomach severely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.