Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia can be deadly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa H

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am posting this in the health section so that people will be made aware of it. I am sorry it is so long and graphic. Justice was 12 in March 0f 2013. We had our share of health issues since she was 8. MCT, thyroid, epulis, allergic reaction, stress with storms and fireworks and IBD. We took it all in stride and treated each one as it came. Nothing ever prepared me for May 24, 2013. That week was like any other week. Nothing out of the ordinary. The day before was normal, she ate all 3 meals and we were outside playing ball at 10pm due to it being too hot during the day. The morning of May 24, we woke up, I gave her pills to her, she ate breakfast, went out and went potty and we went back to bed until 8am. We got up again and she was acting as though she was going to get sick (this was normal due to IBD - she would throw up what looked like foam/bile a few times a month). I took her outside and she had a BM that looked normal and then threw up two mouth fulls of bile. We went back inside and she laid down. Out of no where, she stood up and started bleeding heavily - blood and clots out of her butt. We ran outside and it just kept coming and coming. I have never seen so much blood. I called my husband and we took off to the closest Vet ER. She stopped bleeding while we were in the car and just laid there. By the time we got to the ER, her gums were bleeding and the blood was pooling under her tongue. Her eyes were all blood shot. They did x-rays, blood work and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a mass on her left side but the vet did not feel that was contributing to the bleeding. They could not see into her stomach too well due to the blood and gas. Her bloodworm came back that she had IMTP and her Platelet count was 7000. The vet said that the IMTP was most likely secondary to her other issues, whether it was her thyroid, cancer or IBD. While in ICU, her gums and eyes got worse and she threw up a large amount of blood. Due to her extreme blood loss and all other issues, she said that Justice would have a 30% chance of making it over night and that was with blood transfusions and other testing that could include bone marrow tests. Due to the excessive bleeding, she could go blind and/or have a brain hemorrhage. Then she would have to stay in ICU and if able to be sent home, she would be on large amounts of meds that included extremely high doses of steroids for 4-6 months before they would even decide to cut the amounts down. This would also cause issues of there own. Relapse was a high possibility and she would have to be kept quiet and under low stress if she survived. Blood draws would be regular to make she her platelet counts were stable. Due to all the info provided and the fact that she continued bleeding and her prognosis was poor, we decided to send her to the bridge. Most people say that it is a peaceful experience but it was not. It has taken me 15 days to write this and I am just doing so - so that people are aware that these immune mediated diseases are out there and they can come on quickly. The disease is not always deadly and can be managed if caught early and mostly in younger dogs that have no other health issues. A lot of vets do not know much about them. I have joined a support group out of the UK because the visions of her last day are haunting me to where I cannot sleep. The nightmares are terrible. I hope to post something in the Rainbow Bridge section as soon as I can think clearly enough to pay her the tribute that she deserves:(

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am so very sorry for your loss and so sorry that you and Justice went through that. Sending prayers and hugs to you at this extremely difficult time.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I can't begin to imagine how scary and heartbreaking that was for you. I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Justice.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Oh my god Lisa, that is just horrifying. I am so very sorry for you and Justice :( I can't imagine how scary that was for you and I think I too would be haunted by images such as those for a very long time. grouphugicon

johann

Boxer Insane
I'm so very sorry for you loss and what you and Justice had to go thru. Wishing you peace and comfort during this horrible time.

Status
Not open for further replies.