1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for Kong recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by sunni_d, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunni_d

sunni_d Boxer Booster

I bought Lucy her first Kong about a week ago. It has made an incredible difference whenever she gets crated while I go to school. she doesn't put up a fight anymore.:D

Anyways this is my concoction that i've came up with.

I mix fat free cream cheese, peanut butter, and either sugar free applesauce or a jar of baby food (bannas, carrots, whatever i feel like picking up at the store). I also sometimes add some yogurt.
    I plug the small end with a liver treat and fill the rest with the mix above. I seal the large hole with either cream cheese or peanut butter.

i fix the kong the night before and put it in the fridge. Also i put the kong in a plastic cup while i'm filling it up and leave it in the cup in the fridge till morning. It helps with it tipping over.

Lucy seems pretty happy with this mix. Finishes it all up

If anyone has any other ideas i would be glad to hear.

2. SouthernArt

SouthernArt Completely Boxer Crazy

I guess I'm boring cuz I just use peanut butter. :rolleyes: Duchess does love PB, though! :D

3. Matt S

Matt S Boxer Insane

4. sunni_d

sunni_d Boxer Booster

Yep i sure have checked the offical Kong website. it had a lot of great ideas and it was a good starting point. But i was just wondering if anybody else had some crazy concoctions they had whipped up and that their babies loved.

And SouthernArt your not boring at all. when i don't have time or its just a treat Lucy gets hers with just pb smeared on the inside too. But since she has to be in her crate for at least 6 hrs on my long school days, i want her to know that she is special and loved. And also to keep her occupied for a while.

Thanx for the comments. anyone else??

5. thumpercab1

thumpercab1 Boxer Pal

Lucy

What a lovely name for a boxer.................My friends said that it wasn't a very good name for a boxer.............Well, guess what I named my boxer Lucy to............

6. sunni_d

sunni_d Boxer Booster

I think Lucy is a perfect name for a boxer. Someone else owned her for the first 3 months of her life and they name her Lucy. But i think the name is so fitting. Just like "I Love Lucy" Lucille Ball. She is always getting into trouble and mischief. If I ever get a boy boxer i'm going to name him Ricky and if i get a girl maybe Ethel. And good for you for not listening to other peoples opinions.

Sunni

7. MarleysMom

MarleysMom Guest

I usually put in a few yogurt drops, a broken up Mother Hubbard biscuit & cubed cheese, shake it up and top it off with peanut butter to plug the hole. I stick them in the freezer overnight and now it's a ritual for the kids to "help" me get the Kongs out of the freezer (freezer is on bottom) in the morning. They run right up to their kennels to await for their treat. I think they deserve a special treat for being kenneled 10 hours a day and now they LOVE being crated! And I have a bit of fun trying to come up with new ideas to stuff their Kong with:rolleyes: I must have too much time on my hands......

8. sunni_d

sunni_d Boxer Booster

Thats a great idea. Someone else was talking about the yogurt drops, and i had never thought about giving them to Lucy. But i have to get some because i know she will love them.

9. Halle's Mom

Halle's Mom Boxer Pal

I gave my 13 week old, Halle, a Kong filled w/ PB and kibble with a treat sticking out when I put her in her crate. Several hours later when I returned it was still full of PB and kibble. Is she too young to be able to get it outor am I doing it wrong? IWant her to be able to enjoy something while I am gone!

10. trishamo3

trishamo3 Boxer Buddy

Don't worry, she will get used to it and start to eat it soon.What size Kong toy did you buy ?I just had to upsize for my 5 month old named Caesar.He took a while to get used to it.Now when he sees me filling it, he goes into the crate by himself.My husband is amazed.We only put him in the crate for about 3-4 hrs a day.Caesar slleps in our room,on his own bed. So he really isn't in the crate that much, but everytime I come home the Kong toy is empty.Caesar likes Mother Hubbard Biscuits, not Puppy Biscuits, like Alpo or Other brands.Try different things,some Yogurt(Plain, No fat)or some Banana(mushed up).I hope this helps.Maybe try giving it to her while you are home and hold it up for her to reach her tongue in it at first then she will get the hang of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.