1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'd like to ask some advice

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Tango's Mama, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

As Ive said many times Tango is picky and I have trouble getting him to eat. Now I've made progress lately by feeding him Wellness Senior mix(2 cups a day) Natural Balance Lamb roll (2 inch slice a day) and now I've added a half a cup of Force split into two servings(dehydrated raw diet it says). He cleans his bowl every day and has even been gaining a little weight which he really needed to do. He will be 7 in may and he is moderatly active. Is this a good thing? Am I overdoing it? I'm still learning about nutrition so I may be going overboard but I felt like since he seems so happy with it maybe it wont hurt him.I will post the ingredients to all three for your info and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Force by The Honest Kitchen
    This food is made from 100% human food grade chicken, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, cabbage, sweet potatoes, zucchini, green beans, apples, honey, alfalfa, kelp, yogurt, bananas, papayas, basil, garlic, rosemary, vitamins and minerals.

Force Nutritional Analysis (Dry Matter Basis)
    Protein 21.0% (min)
    Fat 14.0% (min)
    Fiber 5.5% (max)
    Moisture 7.0% (max)
    Calcium 1.6% (min), 1.8% (max)
    Phosphorus 1.0% (min), 1.2% (max)
    Magnesium 0.09% (min), 0.16% (max)
    Sodium 0.2% (min), 0.38% (max)

Wellness Senior supermix
    Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Rice Bran, Ground Brown Rice, Menhaden Fish Meal, Oat Fiber, Whitefish, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicory Root, Amaranth, Flaxseed, Peas, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine-HCL, Chondroitin Sulfate, Taurine, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Minerals: [Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite,] Vitamins: [Choline Chloride, Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin K Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement].

Crude Protein Not Less Than 18.0%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 8.0%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 5.0%
    Moisture Not More Than 11.0%

Natural Balance Lamb roll
    Lamb, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Lamb Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid source of Vitamin C) Sucrose, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphates, Brewer's Yeast, Dried Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Glycerin, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, ,Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Nitrite.

Crude Protein 11.0% minimum
    Crude Fat 5.0% minimum
    Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
    Moisture 40.0% maximum

Im so sorry this post is so long I just wanted to make sure all the info was here. Thanks in advance!!:p

2. apollosdad

apollosdad Boxer Insane

from the looks of it, it seems pretty healthy to me. and if your dog likes it, then all the better.

perhaps a moderator, like gmacleod, might read this post and give some feedback. she is very knowledgeable in this matter.

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Wellness is a very good kibble, and I think that Force is excellent (no grains :)). The Natural Balance roll is good from the point of view that it includes a lot of offal (which is excellent) but not so great given the amount of flour it has (yes, I know it needs something to hold it together LOL).

I would think that feeding that mix to your dog is a great way to go :) Obviously, if he starts to gain too much weight, then you'd need to cut back his total food intake, but that wouldn't need to mean eliminating any of those foods, just feeding less of them.

4. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Thank you both for responding and apollosdad i do agree, I was hoping for some input by ms gmacleod :o. It sure helps to know from others point of view what I'm doing is ok. The weight issue is something I worried about but since he has always been a slightly skinny dog I figured I would be able to monitor his intake and visually tell if he began to increase weight wise of course he gets weighed every vet visit too. I was hoping to move more into the Force and less of the others but he isnt too keen on the veggies yet. We will keep going with it tho and hopefully i can give less and less of the NB roll. He thinks he is getting a fantastic treat with it right now tho. He actually dances round the kitchen while I'm grating and chopping the NB up. Then when i set it all down for him he dosnt even wait for me to say anything he just gobbles it down!(used to he would wait for me to tell him to eat before even sniffing it). This all from a dog who has in the past turned down freshly grilled steak. No lie! If he isnt hungry he refuses treats. I've actually went to give him a treat and had him act like he was going to take it then sit down and just look at me as if to say..ppfftt i dont want that mom! So i put it away and give him a pat instead which is one thing he will never turn down. :p

Thanks again !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.