I think Sophie has kennel cough...what can I give her

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophieboxerX

Boxer Buddy
My baby started hacking/gaging yesterday morning...while we were getting up. She seemed to be okay though once the day started, and she was active and i really didn't notice a whole lot more of it mid-morning. Well late yesterday evening I came home to a whole lot more hacking/gaging as if she had something stuck in her throat that she was trying to bring up (but it's been non-productive)
Last night was terrible...She would move around in her bed and have to start hacking/gaging and she wouldn't stop until she fell asleep. Now this morning her nose is running, she still hacks/gags (but not bringing anything up).
She comes into contact with a lot of dogs, and she did yesterday, (she's been vaccinated). After reading up on it here, I'm pretty sure she's got kennel cough.

What i want to know though is, i've read that I can give her Robittusin DM to help her for the time being (I'm going to take her to the vet on mon). but what dose and how often? If anyone knows it would be a great help.

Gus'Dad

Boxer Buddy
Gus is 12 weeks old now, and earlier in the week we had to take him to the Vet for the exact same symptoms you are describing. It turned out not to be Kennel cough, but an upper respiratory infection which the doctor gave us antibiotics for.

The problem is that these types of things can turn into pnemonia (spelling?) if gone untreated, and if you over dose your pup with over the counter drugs, you can damage their kidneys. I would recommend you get an appointment with the Vet.

Someone else on BW with more experience may have better advice, but this is my 2 cents.

sgbtab

Banned
I would say yes you need to bring your little guy into the vet. kennel cough is very contagtious so you don't want to be around other dogs. I know you can give Robittusin. not really to sure on the amount. kennel cough is like a cold to us humans. so it is usally treated the same way. like gus'sdad said you don't want it to turn into pnemonia.

j8kat

Boxer Booster
Cough syrup

Hello,

I believe that if you do give them cough syrup, ensure that it is the children's kind without the alcohol. We gave our pups some about two months ago when they had kennel cough and it seemed to help speed up their recovery.

Cheers.

Jenn, Mateus & Taya

SophieboxerX

Boxer Buddy
j8kat said:
Hello,

I believe that if you do give them cough syrup, ensure that it is the children's kind without the alcohol. We gave our pups some about two months ago when they had kennel cough and it seemed to help speed up their recovery.

Cheers.

Jenn, Mateus & Taya

Thanx for the advice...I went out lastnight and bought children's cough syrup made sure it was only DM with no other ingredients in it, and gave it to Sophie before bedtime....what a difference it made she slept pretty good...but still has it, She's going to see the vet this afternoon.... :( my poor baby.

cody&duke

Banned
Besides the cough syrup I have also read that you can give them honey. I gave some to Duke when he had kennel cough and I thinked it helped a little.

Hope she is feeling better soon!

jgl0x

Boxer Pal
Kc

mosley was fighting KC for awhile - he had it pretty bad. vet gave him antibiotics and cough syrup but it still didnt clear him up. the honey works great and mosley loved it. i also started giving him vitamin c tablets to build his immune system. hope your baby feels better soon.

SaraMM

Boxer Booster
Cough syrup is good but Tylenol is toxic!!

I just wanted to mention that while giving your baby cough syrup to stop the coughing and hacking at night is all well and good, you should know that tylenol is toxic to dogs. Make sure you give your pup robitussin or the like, but NEVER give them children's liquid tylenol or any form of tylenol for that matter.

SophieboxerX

Boxer Buddy
SaraMM said:
I just wanted to mention that while giving your baby cough syrup to stop the coughing and hacking at night is all well and good, you should know that tylenol is toxic to dogs. Make sure you give your pup robitussin or the like, but NEVER give them children's liquid tylenol or any form of tylenol for that matter.

Thanks for the warning....I gave her a children's cough syrup with only Dextromethorphan (DM) in it no other medicinal ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.