I think my boxer's broken...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey_eisma

Boxer Buddy
Duchess is anything but mellow. Barrett was super mellow when we first got him, I dont think he knew how to play. Now after a few months he is just as crazy as Duchess. I think he learned how to play from watching her!! We keep him interested by buying new toys alot so he doesnt get bored with the ones he has.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Boomer learned...eventually

A few years will do the trick. I recently moved back to Dallas after a twelve year absence from the area (other than visiting). I rescued Boomer in Aug 2001. He's got chew toys out the wazoo and rarely plays with any of them. That is, until recently...we'll go over to my parents' house a couple times a week to play with Dani and Coco. Dani enjoys it, because she has some time to herself while Coco slobbers all over Boomer and they bounce around the house (literally). Over the last two months, I've noticed that Boomer is only interested in toys that he can keep away from Coco during our weekly visits.

If I were to bring home a toy or two from their house, it would sit in the living room, only to be picked up once or twice a month and put down just as quickly.

Cheers,

harlie'smom

Boxer Insane
My Chopper who is almost 7mo is very mellow, almost too mellow sometimes. Harlie is the wild child and is always trying to play with him but just ends up irritating him which inturn irritates her. We can definetly get him going with toys and when we go for walks he's full force but otherwise he would much rather chill out on the sofa with all of his pillows. Maybe you just wear him out with his walks and he's content with that. Give him time, he may break out of his shell and become a wild child :)

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
Mine are definately playful bouncing nuts but they have always had toys and lots of attention. I think he just needs to learn to trust you and that you won't leave him to wander the streets and he needs to learn that it is fun to play and actually how to play. You never know, he may have been not allowed to play in his last home. He just needs time and you to continue to show him that is is ok and fun to play.

RoxysMum

Super Boxer
My Roxy is a pratically comatose dog. She's around 3, we got her from the pound in November. She was obviously bred a couple bazillion times. As far as we can tell she was not indoor, she had never been in a car, seen a toy, walked on a leash, you get the picture. She has no interest in toys, we go on walks because we like to, she could care less and would probably be just as happy laying on you all day long. We take her to the dog park and she likes to sniff around and visit the other owners to get lovins. She's very nice to the other dogs but if they weren't there she wouldn't miss them.

We adopted our boy last weekend and he's basically forced her to become a boxer. He makes her play and she's taken to be the dominant one so she now chews on toys just because they are his and she has to make a point. She gets excited to go on walks because he is. So she may have been broken but the new adoptee fixed her for us. Now I'm just waiting for them to learn how to woo woo and then maybe my boxers will be as normal as the rest of the disfunctional boxers out there!

IluvLucy

Boxer Insane
If your boxer does really seem sluggish, you may want to have their thyroid level checked. J.C. is a rescue and always seemed VERY mellow to me for a boxer. He was kind of hard to train at first because he was hard to motivate and didn't focus well. Some people suggested getting him checked for thyroid. I'm glad I did. He was VERY low. Since he has been on medication, he has gone from a "walking zombie" to competing in Agility. That's quite a change. I notice small changes in his behavior almost daily. He has more energy, WANTS to play fetch, doesn't tire as easily etc. Low thyroid is a fairly common problem for boxers and easy to test for. If you test then you will know. If they are low, you can put them on medication and improve their quality of life. They will be healthier and happier and more fun to be around. If they are not low, you have eliminated that from your list of possible problems.

RoxysMum

Super Boxer
Oh that's a good suggestion. I had a full blood/x-ray/ekg work up done on Roxy just to rule that out. All normal but it did make me feel better. I just own a stoner dog, as my friend so affectionately calls her :).

snort

Boxer Pal
Thanks so much for your replies! Slugger is a still a sweetie even though he is
so mellow.Our pug has about a hundred different toys so maybe there is something that will get him interested in playing. I will certainly look into the bloodwork to see if it is thyroid related. My last boxer was on thyroid meds and was mellow too ( unless you were a golden retriever! Grrr.)
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.