1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I put in an application!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Kaybie's Mom, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

What about recovery time? You will have a puppy to keep calm, plus Kaybie, who is going to want some serious playtime.

Please don't feel that you are being bashed, you did ask for unbiased opinions! That is one great thing about this board, people are honest with their opinions. I agree with the other posters about the cosmetic surgery. But in the end, it is YOUR decision. If you really don't want a rottie with a tail, are you sure this is the one for you?

Please keep us updated!

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  3. joncads

joncads Completely Boxer Crazy

If you going to get the little man I would keep him the way he is.... I don't agree with any type of surgery to change a dogs appearance! If you not sure about the tail then this little guy isn't for you! You'd never forgive yourself if he got an infection in the wound or had adverse effects from the amputation of his tail! Let me know what you decide.

I don't think anyone is getting at you they just all have very strong views on the subject!

4. entelekia

entelekia Super Boxer

Well... ok.

I think, aside from all this tail or no tail discussion, that the real issue here is that you've got a really bad case of "puppy fever". The only reason I'm able to recognize this is because I have been in your shoes a couple of times. When you first started talking about getting a puppy, you seemed to have a cool head, were checking reputable breeders, were sure of exactly what you wanted (male boxer puppy), and you were willing to wait until the spring. All of a sudden you're looking everywhere (petfinder, and all the other places you asked for) and are jumping at the sight of puppies. (First the boxer-mix, now the rottie). I am not judging you, TRUST ME, I have been there and know the angst of wanting a puppy sooooo badly... but I really think that you need to take a step back, take a long breath, and rethink what exactly is what you want.

Do you want a puppy with enough energy to keep up with Kaybie?
    Do you want a puppy who will be calmer than Kaybie?
    If you do, why not look into an older dog with an already established temperament? Or do you need to have a puppy?
    Does it have to be a purebred? Or would you consider a shelter puppy?
    Obviously looks are important in your choice. Have you looked at other breeds?
    How about a smaller dog with a lot of energy?

It seems to me like you've got to let this puppy go and do some more thinking. If he was meant to be yours, he will still be there when you make up your mind. You don't want to rush into anything and then second-guess yourself that you might have made the wrong decision (like letting Rex go). Think about it.

Just my two cents. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

I couldn't agree more. I think we have all been through this, how do you think I got my pug!! haha!! :)

6. Cleo's Mom

Cleo's Mom Super Boxer

I agree with the last two. If I could I would love to get a 3rd puppy but I know that I can only take good care of the two I have now things may change and I can get another. I would think really hard before you get this baby if you do, I would not get his tail docked now. It would be very painful. The ear cropping comparison is a good example. More and more boxer pet owners do not crop their boxer's ears because of the pain involved for cosmetic purposes. My vet no longer performs ear croppings because it is cosmetic. I have even seen some ucropped boxers in the show ring. If you adopt this baby please think twice about docking his tail. You are getting him from the humane society and I would guess they would not let you adopt him if they knew you were thinking of doing this. I'm not judging or critizing but giving my opinion which you stated you wanted. You even started with this may seem shallow...

7. Kaybie's Mom

Kaybie's Mom Boxer Insane

Update

Ok, here's the update. I decided over the weekend that I wouldn't get the tail docked. I just wasn't 100% sure if he was the right puppy for me seeing that I really prefer the docked tail look. Anyways, fast forward to today and the lady from the rescue emailed me and told me he got adopted on Saturday at one of their adoption events. So it's a happy ending for everyone and I will keep hunting for "the right" puppy. I am actively searching for a rottie puppy as I have decided that will make a nice addition to my home. I went to the local humane society over this past weekend and there was actually a young rottie up for adoption but it was a female, and I really want a male seeing as I've read that a male/female combo is best. So I'm just keeping my eye out for the right one and not rushing into it. I'm sure the right one will come along. If I don't find one through a shelter or rescue, then I will probably eventually get one from a breeder. Thanks again for all of those who supported me and gave me their opinions. I'm just glad that little guy got a great home.

8. Hobart Ave.

Hobart Ave. Boxer Insane

Thanks for the update. It sounds like everything worked out for the best. Like I said in an earlier post, sometimes these things don't work out for a reason and a great dog is waiting for you somewhere else :) Good luck with your search; I can't wait to hear about your newest addition when you find him!

9. crowpete

crowpete Boxer Insane

Thanks for the update. I am sure the right one will come along. I will be waiting to hear the good news one of these days :)

10. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Awh - I just caught up with this thread - I am glad the little bugger got a home. Be patient, I went through puppy fever a few months ago and had to stop myself from making a decision I would have regretted...and then came along Disco, who is absolutely perfect in every way for my situation. So when in doubt - DON'T. That's my motto...Good luck in your search, the right one will come out of no where. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.