1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I put in an application!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Kaybie's Mom, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

I am sorry, I might be the only one here giving you mt flat out opinion here, but are you frickin kidding me?!! How could you not want a dog because of a undocked tail? This is about rescuing not appearance. I don't agree with putting a puppy through that sort of pain at that age ( 4 MONTHS!!!), its cruel. That's like taking a 4 month baby in to get circumsized, and just saying "oh he will be "uncomfortable for about a week". HUH???? Why would anyone want to do that??!
    I did not get Kirby because his tail was docked, and if it wasn't I still would of gotten him, and would not of even considered putting him through that trauma, just for looks. You like a breed for it's personality, temperment, and appearance comes last. I am beside myself here with disbelief.

2. Hobart Ave.

Hobart Ave. Boxer Insane

I tend to agree with Kirby Kirb on this one. Why bother? I get that you prefer the docked look but in the end it comes down to personality not appearance. I would NEVER put my dog through an unnecessary surgery...there are so many things that can happen while under anesthesia not to mention possible problems with recovery. A friend of mine is involved with rottie rescue and has the sweetest rottie boy who happens to have his tail. He is sooo cute! I don't think it diminishes his overall "rottieness". Do what you want...but please consider all possibilities before you make a final decision.

3. Kaybie's Mom

Kaybie's Mom Boxer Insane

I really am torn here. I don't think it's fair to judge me but I'm not going to argue about that. Anyways, I'm not sure I see the difference in this versus cropping ears. That procedure is pretty painful from what I've heard and only done for cosmetic reasons, yet people do it all the time, and generally, are not judged negatively for doing so. Partly because it's breed standard. So why is this much different? A professional vet would be doing the docking, and they said he would be "uncomfortable" for a week or less. They didn't say it would be extemely painful, just uncomfortable. I just kind of feel like, if a vet can tell me that they can dock his tail, recovery time is minimal, and he'd still look as normal as he would have if it had been done as a little puppy, then why not do it.

And as far as doing unnecessary surgeries, humans do this all the time. Nose jobs, body lifts, liposuction, etc.......all for cosmetic reasons and yet it is very painful. Not sure I see much of a difference.

I really don't want this thread to turn into a bashing thread and get closed. I just want UN-BIASED opinions........please. I'm really torn in my heart right now as to what I should do. Please don't make it out like I'm a monster for wanting his tail docked.

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I think you are wrong in comparing an ear crop to tail dock at an older age. A tail dock at an older age is basically an amputation and it involves bone. I you don't want a pup with a tail, I would let someone else have to dog who will love him the way he is. There is obviously no shortage of applications.

5. Kaybie's Mom

Actually they have put their links back on petfinder. Not sure why yet but I have to assume they went through most of the applications and did not pick those people. And the lady I've been in contact with is pushing for me to get him.

6. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

OK for starters you are comparing the tail docking to ear cropping, why not compare apples to oranges? Just think about that for a sec... there is a difference in the two. You stated in your response that the procedure was painful, so why would you even want to do it? You said ear cropping was done for breed standards, this is a rescue, are you planning on showing him? Your vet said that he would be uncomfortable for about a week, you also said that your vet did not say that the procedure was extremely painful, just uncomfortable. Do you actually think they would tell you that it was extremely painfull for the dog? If they told every owner the truth, and that there dog would be in some amount of pain, they would not make any money!! I know I would not take my dog in for something "COSMETIC", if it were painful for him!!!

As for you "unnecessary surgeries" you are comparing human nose jobs, and tummy tucks, to a dog getting the end of his tail cut off... I see no simularities!! A human can make there own decision of things getting cut off there bodies, dogs can't, that is why they have owners to make the best decisions for them. They can't talk!! Once again, let's compare apples to oranges.

I am not trying to be a mean person here, but you have to think about what you asking us to do. You want our honest opinions on you rescuing a puppy that needs a good home, but you don't like the looks of him with a tail, so you want to cut it off, just because you don't like the looks of it! If it were infected, or had some growth on it, I could see where you are coming from, but he is healthy, happy, and cute even with his tail. I think it would be a selfish decision to dock his tail.

7. Kaybie's Mom

I guess I'll just stop asking for opinions on this matter and make my own decision. I'm trying to get educated, not bashed.

For those of you interested in if I adopt this puppy or not, I will keep you updated. Thanks.

8. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

When they dock at three or four days the central nervous system is believed under developed and not fully functioning and thus there is less trauma for the dog. At this age his tail docking would be an amputation. If you amputate his tail he may have phantom pain for the rest of his life.

I think you should just love him the way he is. None of us are perfect and that makes each of us unique. Same with this little guy.

9. Hobart Ave.

Hobart Ave. Boxer Insane

I honestly don't think anyone is trying to bash you here. You asked for opinions on a controversial topic that people are passionate about. My statement about doing unecessary surgeries wasn't meant to make you feel bad it was meant to put the idea out there that any surgery carries risk. This is where I'm coming from: my uncle has had several heart attacks. Last March he had a severe one and had to undergo surgery to repair a valve. He had a horrific negative reaction to the anesthesia and as a result was in a medically induced coma for three months. He is still in and out of the hospital because he is still having problems and may never fully recover. You never know what will happen when anesthesia is involved. No surgery is "routine". If you weigh the risks and in the end decide that you want to do the surgery, that's your perrogative. Keep in mind also that just because a vet is willing to do a procedure, it doesn't make the procedure right.

10. ZOE*BOXER

ZOE*BOXER Boxer Insane

Please do. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.