1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some hope

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by junobet, Apr 1, 2016.

1. junobet

junobet Boxer Buddy

We had two adult boxers by the time our two boys were born (3 and 1.5 year olds). We lost our boxer, Juno, last May. We still have our 8 year old girl and felt in our hearts that we are a 2 boxer family and thus decided to get a puppy. We have an absolutely gorgeous, well tempered puppy.
    I'm just struggling to manage everything at home. Talon is almost 13 weeks old, had him since 8 weeks old. I try to keep him on a leash next to me in the house so I can keep an eye on him and he is with us. Otherwise, he will use the bathroom in the house or chew on my children's toys.
    I'm continuously trying to troubleshoot ways to manage everyone. The last two days he has peed in my children's bedrooms while I'm changing diapers. So today I tried putting him outside briefly while I got my youngest up, changed, out of bed in the morning and I caught Talon digging a hole outside.
    I have lots of dog toys inside and outside and try to always have one in reach when I leash him to something in the house in a room we are all in.
    If I crate him when I'm busy with the boys, he barks briefly but will settle. I just feel guilty about keeping him crated because I am ALWAYS busy with my two young children. I am able to take him for a brief walk (because he is still young for walking and gets distracted so I'm pulling him almost the entire time) when my husband gets home at 7pm at night.
    When we got our first puppy, we had him crated during the day because we worked. We had someone come out at lunch to walk/play with the puppy. So I'm trying not to feel too guilty about crating him often but it's hard when we are all in the house and he's in his crate.

My husband leaves at 5am in the morning so there's no way I can do a morning walk before he leaves to get him some exercise early. I do make an effort to run him around/play/train with him in our small fenced back yard a few times a day along with the evening walk. What am I missing, how can I make this easier for all of us or will it just take time. I need some hope. This may not have been the best time in our lives to get a puppy, but here we are and he's part of our family now.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Don't feel guilty about putting your pup in his crate. It won't hurt him. As you have noticed he soon settles down and probably goes to sleep. The crate is also a great tool in house training. Most puppies won't soil their den. Just make sure that you take him outside as soon as soon as you let him out. As soon as he does his business, you can let him have some free time in the house.
    Good luck!

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

At that age your pup should be sleeping a good pprtion of the day, so don't feel bad about crating him. Also at that age walks should be short. If I rememeber correcctly for the first year you only want to do 5 minutes for each month of age, so at 13 weeks you are talking about a 15 minute walk. The good news is puppies grow fast, and learn fairly quickly. As long as you can be consistent a good amount of the time potty training should come along. Take him out when he first wakes up, right after he eats, and after a good play session (The times he is most likely to need to go.) it should go smoother. Puppies are a lot of work as are children 3 and under. You do have your hands full but it will get easier with time.

4. junobet

junobet Boxer Buddy

Thank you for the support. It's already gotten a little easier this last week with potty training. He is one very smart puppy, he just needs time to learn the rules.
    How can you not love this face?

Attached Files:

rena and msnitsirk like this.
  5. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Awww, that face melts my heart. I just want to squish it and give it kisses.

junobet likes this.
  6. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

What an absolute cutie!

junobet likes this.
  7. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

OMG what a cutie!!!!! Things of course will get easier. When we rescued Daisy she had already been in 4 homes and was only 8 months old. She also had to endure a 350 mile trip home with us. The first 2 weeks were unbearable. She barked at EVERYTHING and would not sit still for more then a minute. My wife had a constant migraine. In time she settled down and she is now my spoiled little brat girl. They all learn at a different rate but they do learn. Daisy never barks now. Just grumbles at us when she is hungry, wants to go outside, wants to play and wants to go to bed. :) BTW did I tell you how beautiful your puppy is? fiesta1icon

junobet likes this.
  8. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Agree !! Love that face , they learn very quickly and are very smart they just need guidance..

9. Murp.mm

Murp.mm Boxer Insane

Look at that face. Absolutely gorgeous. As you know boxers can be a handful when they are puppies but a boxer is the best friend a child can ever have. Talon will be that friend to your two boys. Good luck.