1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice please

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Tango's Mama, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Tango is on Wellness simple solutions and has done well with it i think. Lately tho he just wont eat it. He is to the point of eating a mouthful then walking off. He has always been extremely picky and we put him on this brand due to what the vet thought was food allergies. He hasnt changed much at all since we put him on it really at least ive not noticed alot of difference in his symptoms. They come and go and as he ages they get less and less. Im wondering if i should try a regular dry food and see what happens? He will be 7 in may and has had all his wellness checks to come back normal. I was looking into Innova adult. But thats as far as i got. Any ideas? id love to go raw but i just cant do it right now time wise. I know there are so many brands out there its hard to settle on just one. Ive read ingrediants over and over and as i said thus far i like the idea of Innova but im open to any suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance!!

2. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Maybe i should just switch flavors? He is on the venison and they have duck.

3. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

What about some stir-ins like yogurt or peanut butter or even the bottled gravy that you can buy for your pets. Try pieces of apples and bananas in the food or even try mixing some of the Wellness White Fish and Sweet Potato canned food in the dry kibble. Wellness White Fish and Sweet Potato food is for allergy prone dogs also. I use Wellness for my baby and almost have her entire life, well since I joined BW and found that Eukanuba was not a great food, and she has done just wonderful on it. You will have to watch the treats because even though you are feeding this food for allergies some treats might create an allergic reaction, I found this with my baby.

4. apollosdad

apollosdad Boxer Insane

switching flavors might do it and be a more simple solution. if you decide to switch foods all togther, solid gold makes a "holistique blendz" formula for allergy prone dogs.

5. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Its kinda funny you mentioned mix-ins, I buy stew beef and boil it up then put it in the food processor. He gets a few spoonfulls over his food and he has been trying to pick out all the beef and leaving the kibble lately. I went in a little bit ago and made him some rice with the beef in it and he ate like I had been starving him. So fast i had to take it from him and make him go slower! I used to boil chicken till he stopped eating that. I had him on the wellness fish and sweet potato until he stopped eating it too! Picky lil fella isnt he..:) I will try some more mixers and see how he goes until i can find another flavor he likes.

I will look into solid gold i know the place i buy food from has just about every brand you can buy so maybe i will see if she has some trial size of that kind.

Thanks for your advice guys. It sure helps to know what others do. Ive never had a dog that was quite so picky. I swear if you offered him a steak he might just turn it down too!

6. apollosdad

apollosdad Boxer Insane

mix-ins are a pretty good idea too. i guess i have been fortunate enough to never have to worry about having a finicky eater. apollo loves his solid gold. in a few months i plan on trying him out on canidae and maybe even wellness too.

7. Burton'sMa

Burton'sMa Boxer Booster

my boy has allergies too.....to the point where he was loosing his hair (may not have totally been a food allergy though-could have been a combination of food and environmental) anyhow, I switched him from Chicken Soup (which he loved) to Solid Gold WolfKing (they recommended it for dogs with allergies) but he didn't seem to care for it.....he would wait till he was starving before he ate it----but his fur started coming back nicely and I hated to leave something good, so I switched him based on a suggestion from ApollosDad (?I believe this is who it was:) to Solid Gold's Hund-n-Flocken---and my boy appears to like it much better than the Wolfking.....he went to the pantry and began tapping at the bag and tried to get into it.....and now he's doing just great----i would be careful of the gravies......depending on who makes them, b/c the only gravies I have seen are made by dog food companies that are not on the wdj approved list......good luck-keep me posted how it turns out for you:)

8. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

well! I read about every kind of food in the world i think! I went to the pet food store and looked thru several kinds too. I ended up getting a small bag of Turducken by merrick. It sounded good and seemed to have good ingredients as well. Tango gobbled it down like there was no tommorrow too so thats a plus and the upside I didnt have to add any beef to it!! It said to add a little warm water and it makes its own gravy. It sure did he never noticed i didnt add anything to it. It had chunks of carrots, peas and potatoes that you can see in it too. If anyone else has tried it or feeds it let me know, Or if anyone see's anything bad in the ingredients list i'd appreciate the info. Its so hard to choose something thats good for them and something they like as well. Here is some info about it for those interested in it..:)

This bayou classic allows dogs to get in touch with their southern senses. The delicious combination of Turkey, Duck and Chicken all cooked together in their wonderful juices makes even vegetarians reconsider their pledge. It's time that all of our dog friends had a taste of this Cajun Treat. The Merrick family says – “geaux for it!”

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 24.0%
    Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 13.0%
    Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.5%
    Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Calorie Content:
    3482 kcal/kg - One pound provides 1594 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value. (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method)

Ingredients:
    Turkey, Oatmeal, Barley, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Duck, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat – (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

9. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

Wow, you're lucky you can find Merrick dry food! Tae likes the canned and I feed it on special occasions. My local pet stores that sell high quality kibble do not carry the dry food yet

I was going to mention that Tae seems to be having some food allergies lately, so I have been switching her to California Natural Lamb and Rice, but they also have a chicken and rice kibble. It is similar to the Wellness Simple Solutions in that it has few ingredients. It's also made by the same company that makes Innova. I went with it b/c it's cheaper than the Wellness, but still good quality.

10. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

BeckyNC this store is in asheville so its not too close to you but she carries almost every brand i could think of and the prices are pretty good too.

* I remembered back when Tango had his surgery and you posted about the vets office i went to. I had wanted to send you to their website so you could have a look but i dont think im supposed to get off topic here so i will post it on the chit chat forum if you want to see what I was talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.