I need help!

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
I belong to a couple groups that help to rescue and find good homes for cats and dogs. Me and my wife loves going to different events to help raise money and food items for the animals. Here is my problem. One of the other things that makes these groups successful is the many people who fosters these animals until they find a good home. I have never done this and feel I would become too attached to them. Has anyone on here fostered before and could you give me some pointers.

Thank You Very Much!

Cami

Boxer Insane
I was involved with Boxer rescue for nearly 10 years. I NEVER fostered as I knew I would be a complete failure and every dog in my care would become a member of the family. I had a few dogs in my care for hours....never overnight but even those I became too attached to and felt terrible when they left. Some people can do it and are great at it. I have a client that fosters retired Greyhounds and they are in and out all the time. I even get attached to her fosters! If you can do it I highly recommend at least giving it a try.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I foster for my local cattle dog rescue, I don't have any issues getting attached to them though because there's a very specific kind of dog that I like... and if that dog ever comes through here as a foster, then I'd be in trouble!

I just have a "this is not my dog" mindset with them. Like it's the same as if I were just petsitting for someone, ya know? For me the hardest part about fostering is keeping the stress low on my own pets, and finding a way to adjust our routine to fit in the foster without taking attention away from my dogs. And of course depending on the personality of the foster, sometimes there's a good bit of work getting them out of their shell, putting manners on them etc.

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
image.jpeg We are on day 4 and it has been a party at our house. We are fostering a 3 year old Beagle mix named Mack and Daisy taught him how to Boxer play within about 12 hours. My Lab just watches them. Here is a picture of Mack.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a very nice dog. I am sure that he won't have a problem finding a new home. Just keep telling yourself that he is just visiting. :)

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
Looks like a very nice dog. I am sure that he won't have a problem finding a new home. Just keep telling yourself that he is just visiting. :)

I had to convince my wife and myself that if we were going to do this we had to understand that the dogs we fostered were there until we could find them a forever home. We want to do this more then once. I just can't believe how happy Daisy has been with a friend to play with. Last night she tried to go in the kennel with him at bed time. loveicon