I need Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAVI

Boxer Buddy
Well my boy and girl are now 1yr and 11mths. They have always been very well behaved . When I go off to work I keep them in the kitchen with there beds and there toys. I have never had a problem with that, I have left them there like that since thwy were about 5 and 4 mnths. Now they have started to chew the wall. They made a hole that is about 5inx6in. Thay have also started to chew on my cabinets... I have child locks so they cant get them open. I am losing my mind I come home everyday to a huge mess. I have had to patch and paint the wall 3x. I feel bad putting them in a crate since I will be gone like 8hrs when I am at work. When I get home I always take them on long walks for like a hour and a half. What should I do.

Net45582

Banned
It sounds like the crate would be the safest way to go for both your "stuff" and the dogs. Is their anyone who could come midday to let them go potty?
If not,how about a long walk/playtime before you leave? Wear them out so they sleep most of the day. It sounds like they are bored.

Coopster2208

Super Boxer
Sadly, our boys are crated all day. But, we have peace of mind knowing that when we come home the house isn't detroyed.

There is that Apple spray that dogs don't like the taste of, but if you try the crates, remember to give them lots of (safe) stuff to keep busy, nice blankets, and lots of play time and love before and after work!

Angie35

Boxer Pal
Coopster2208 said:
Sadly, our boys are crated all day. But, we have peace of mind knowing that when we come home the house isn't detroyed.

There is that Apple spray that dogs don't like the taste of, but if you try the crates, remember to give them lots of (safe) stuff to keep busy, nice blankets, and lots of play time and love before and after work!

that is what my reasoning is for the crate... Maggie tore my sisters house apart... she also opened a window and jumped out... she came home one day and found her on top of the refrigerator, with the three glass jars that were up there broken on the floor... she broke one cabinet and took out a jar and opened it (we call her a Raptor sometimes)... She has chewed on everything and she would go to the bathroom everywhere... until they started crate training her! I think the crate is the way to go!

Last edited:

JAVI

Boxer Buddy
Since I see that most of u crate aswell I guess I will start doing the same.. I just thought it was mean to leave them in there all day but I guess thats the only way to learn... I am pretty patient but WOW my patience has been tested the last few days I will start crating them tomorrow. Thank you for your responses.

Rosieren

Boxer Buddy
I used to not crate and they were fine for a few months and then one day they ate four pairs of my shoes and now they've been crated ever since. It is just nice peace of mind... not just that my stuff is safe but that they are safe as well. Once before I came home and my jack russell was tangled in the window blinds pull cords. It is just crazy how they get into things that they may have always left alone before.

ShelbysDad2

Banned
I would seriosuly suggest crating your dogs! But keep in mind - DO NOT use the crates to punish your dogs.

Here is a trick I use so my boxer thinks it is a REWARD to go in his crate.

1. Throw his favorite treat into his crate and say "go home" and after a while, he will
2. close the door for about 15-20 seconds and walk away ignoring the dog. Come back and dont praise the dog because it is a reward to go in but it is not to come out.
3. keep doing this for 5-7 times a day, each time longer and longer eventually reaching 15-30 minute intervals - ignore all wining or barking.... in fact, walk to another room. meanwhile, every time he goes in there, you give him a treat and say the word "go home"

Eventually, you will walk to his crate and say "Go home" and he will go into his crate and you will give him a treat.

My Shelby walks in by command now and when I come home, I don't greet her at all for at least 10-15 minutes until I am fully comfortable with a drink in my hand. THen I let her out, no eye contact and go about my business as she follows me.

Try it!

Zoeys_Mom

Super Boxer
I was feeling bad for leaving Zoey in her crate while I am at work, so one day last week I decided to leave her in my bedroom.
I picked everything up, stashed the majority of the bedding away, and put her whole toy box in there with her water. I left the window open a smidge so she could get a bit of a breeze.
I came home at lunch to check on her, and found her eating my mattress!!! I couldn't be too mad at her, becuase it was so different for her. She has been crated pretty much since she was a pup. I also found the door scratched up pretty bad!
So, Zoey will be staying crated for now, and we'll keep trying from time to time. If your's are being that destructive, I would go with the crates and start over. Good luck!

Kathie11

Super Boxer
I have never been comfortable with crating. Louie was already 1.5 years old when we got him and he was fine in the house. But when we got Chevy as a pup we would put him in a crate because he was very destructive (separation anxiety). We went through 3 crates and he was able to get out of two of them, finally with the third one he couldn't get out but when we would come home there was drool everywhere and also some blood because he cut his paws and lip on the door. After a while we had enough so we started taking them for a 1 hour run before work and letting them have the run of the house. We close all the bedroom, bathrooms etc. doors and make sure there isn't anything they can get into. And this really worked for us. At first we also used to freeze peanut butter in a kong or give them special bones to chew on when we left the house. It's been over 6 months without any destruction. The other day I was running late and I only took them for a 20 minute walk and they were home the whole day and they were fine.

Coopster2208

Super Boxer
ShelbysDad2 said:
I would seriosuly suggest crating your dogs! But keep in mind - DO NOT use the crates to punish your dogs.

You will find that crating is all a matter of preference (of the dog mostly), if they will allow their parents to keep them in it.

Regarding the crate to punish, us crating our dogs is not a punishment. It is to keep them safe while we are not there... I think of dogs as kids, and they don't know what they can't put in their mouth. Even though we put up safety locks on cabinets, and put everything out of reach, they always find you 'didn't' think of!

We use our boys crates for time outs. When they are not be having (usually when company is over) and we give them three strikes, then time out. It is usually for only a few minutes until they settle, but they have never looked at their crate as a punishment, they go in their on their own accord many times to take a nap, or rearrange their blanket...

Status
Not open for further replies.