I have had it... (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
We just bought a house and tomorrow we will have been here for 2 weeks. We knew we were going to put another fence up here. we had a 4' chainlink fence at the old place but we have to get higher for here because everyonce in awhile Abbie would climb over (only if she saw me walking through the yard) and Dozer took to jumping straight over it. There it wasn't a huge deal because we didn't live on a main road like we do now.

We had planned on taking a while to get the fence up and just walking the dogs. That isn't working. Brady will not potty while on a leash so we were tying him and I was walking Abbie on a leash while he was out. It took Abbie awhile to start pooping while on a leash but I thought she was getting the hang of it. Fast forward to the other night, we were outside pacing back and forth to get Abbie to poop and a pickup truck with an air horn on it blew its horn at our neighbor's house. That was enough for Abbie to figure she wasn't pooping outside anymore. They are having a hard time with pottying on a leash because they never had to before, they both grew up with a fence and their whole life, walks were recreational, not meant to be poop producing.

Abbie has resorted to pooping in the dog room and then eating it. Obviously I know she is doing it but I can't get her to poop outside on the leash and she has to poop. I try to catch her before she eats it but I usually find out she ate it because she walks up to me licking her lips and upon further inspection, I smell it. I feel so bad that she is doing this but I don't know how to stop it. When she was a puppy, she ate her poop too but we ended that with giving her pineapple chunks. I don't know why she thinks she needs to eat it to cover it up, she was never even been scolded for pooping in the house. This has never been an issue until now.

Any ideas on how to get her to stop eating her poop? Obviously I want her to quit pooping in the house but I am mostly concerned for her well being.

The poor girl is laying here at my feet and everytime she burps, I smell poop. I am not mad at her but worried about her. I don't want to psychologically hurt my baby girl. Stupid trucks!

I have called the local Home Depot to see if the have everything to get the fence put up but of course they don't have enough of the posts which is what I figured since the store is so small. We don't have the extra money to put up the fence right now with just buying this house and furnishing it but I am going to whip out a credit card. I just need to wait for the store to get the posts in. In the meantime, I need my Bug to quit eating her poop. Any ideas?

Last edited:

djheitz

Boxer Insane
We moved in February to a fenceless yard, too. Since the lot is large, we have to hold off on the real fence until the old house sells. Our vet had a pamphlet for a 'best friend's fence' in the office. We checked it out on the website and ordered it a couple of weeks before settlement. For about $300, we got 100 feet of 5 foot fence and metal posts to connect it to. The fence arrived in two days and DH and I were able to put it up in about an hour. Very easy, very cheap, and has held up well for three months. The company actually advertises it as a non-visable fence to put in wooded areas. It's a black plastic mesh - definitely hard to see when the light is low.
Just do a google search on best friend fence and it should come up. They're located in PA, and shipping was included. All you need is a hammer to get the posts into the ground.

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
I looked into the best friend fence but wasn't impressed with the price.

We are doing a 6' high chainlink going 50' three ways and the 4th wall will be the house.
We are puttting it up ourselves (or I should say Stephen and a friend are doing it) and with the terminal posts, line posts, and the gate and what not it will be about $600. There won't be a top rail on it right now but that is ok because the dogs won't be out there unsupervised anyhow. Eventually it will be expanded but for right now it should solve the poop problem. Now we just have to get the posts in stock at the local store. They were going to do some calling and try to get them for us by tomorrow, hopefully it happens but they didn't sound like it would be promising.

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Oh well, it was a thought....
We're pricing out the permanent fence now. First estimate came in at $8600 :eek: .And I'm not even looking at the really pricy aluminum fences. Told DH we will absolutely have it installed. He's very handy (plumber by trade), but I don't want to pull in the driveway to a crooked fence for the next thirty years!

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
Oh well, it was a thought....
We're pricing out the permanent fence now. First estimate came in at $8600 :eek: .And I'm not even looking at the really pricy aluminum fences. Told DH we will absolutely have it installed. He's very handy (plumber by trade), but I don't want to pull in the driveway to a crooked fence for the next thirty years!

:eek:
How much property you fencing in? For that much it had better be alot! We have a nice piece of property but I am not fencing it all in. We take the dogs to the baseball field to run a lot so they don't need a huge yard but I want them to have a good sized one. The bigger the fence is, the less we have to mow as much too which is a plus. Although that does make more mud area which means more mud in the house...

Things are too complicated.

bayleighmom

Boxer Insane
Will she go on a long tie out? I know you have probably tried this already!

Is there anyway to put up a temp fence around an area for her to poop in? Use some of the cheap pointed metal posts and wire some chain link fence fabric to it?

Bayleigh has never jumped or climbed our fence, thank god! When we were re-doing a section of our chain link, we fenced a section using plastic construction fence.

EAO76

Boxer Insane
My Rosco is the same way. He will not pee or poop on leash. He will even potty on command so he knows what we want but when he is on a leash he refuses. We would probably be outside all night if we were in your position. So I feel for you!

I know with the poop eating digestive enzymes sometimes work. I bought some from GNC called ‘super digestive enzymes’. But the only thing that works 100% of the time is watching them poop & then cleaning it up. So unless you can always catch her in the act you may just have to live with it. I had a foster that ate his poop. The new family was so freaked out by it they almost returned him. So I got in touch with a vet & a very experienced trainer and they both said it won’t hurt him, and that it’s a SUPER common thing that dogs do, and to tell the family to basically “get over it”. So I wouldn’t worry too much (as long as the fence will be up soon). Hopefully it won’t become a habit and continue once she has her yard.

She won’t go on a long tie out?

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
She is afraid of the runner we have, everytime she walks, she looks up at the pully like it is chasing her. I bought a long tie out hoping she would poop on it but no go. She just stands there and looks at me like I should poop for her.

She is the craziest dog, she is so attached to me (sometimes I think it is unhealthy how much attched to me she is) and she won't potty for anyone but me and she won't potty while connected to anything, I think that pretty much rules everything out. I am not sure she would use a small fenced in area. I think it would have to be big enough that she didn't feel confined.

I am not too worried about her healthwise for eating her poop but psychological wise. I don't want her to get in the habit of doing. She did when she was younger but we broke that, hopefully we can do the same this time. I am also worried about our wellbeing as she is very affectionate and I really don't want to be given kisses with a poopy tongue.

I have tried to keep her with me so she doesn't get a chance to poop and eat it but with just moving in and still unpacking, that has proved to be impossible.

Still haven't heard from the store about the posts but hopefully soon.

EAO76

Boxer Insane
I know this isn’t exactly the best way to meet the new neighbors LOL but any chance someone near you would let you use their fenced yard? Has anyone seemed extra nice & dog friendly?

tobyharper

Boxer Pal
I wish we had that problem!

Whenever we put a leash on our puppies, it seems to trigger their poop reflexes. We can potty them and then as soon as we start for our walk...poop! :)

Sorry that I can't help. Do you walk them outside of your yard? It seems that exercise = pooping. Maybe a walk around the neighborhood will get them used to going while on leash and then you can start sticking around to the backyard?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.