1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question!!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Mamabrown75, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mamabrown75

Mamabrown75 Boxer Buddy

I am not sure if we have a forum for this or not but I searched and did not find one so............here goes.

I just got my baby Saturday from a breeder who had no use for him. He said he was only born with one testicle, I can tell by looking and feeling that he only has one in his sac. My question is this (I plan to take him to the vet soon), since it's Sunday and it's a non-emergency question, I will ask it here. Is there a chance that his other testicle could be up inside of him? I plan to have him neutered but does this increase his chances for cancer? I have a friend who told me that it "may" increase his chances of cancer. Is it possible that he was born with just that one? Or do you think that he may still have the other one, it may just be up inside?? I have never heard of this and wanted to see if anyone else has heard of it!!

Thanks for all that respond!!!

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Moving this to the anatomy & physiology forum.

If you do a search of the forums using the terms "cryptochid" or "chryptorchidism" you'll find plenty more information. But to briefly answer your question, yes it is technically possible for a dog (or a human) to be born with only one testicle. But it is far more likely that the second one simply didn't descend and is still inside him - that's actually quite common. It is also a genetic condition, and the retained testicle has a high chance of turning cancerous, so yes, this dog does need to be neutered.

A retained testicle does make a neuter operation somewhat more complex than is normally the case - simply because the surgeon is going to have to hunt around the abdomen to find the retained testicle.

3. Mamabrown75

Mamabrown75 Boxer Buddy

Thank you very much for moving my post!! I really didn't know what category it fell under.

I am getting him neutered, one, for the simple fact that we don't want to breed him and two, there are dogs in our neighborhood that run free and I don't want him to get a dog pregnant and overpopulate. Thank you very much for the information. Now that I know what it is called I can do some more research on it!! Thanks a bunch!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.