I guess I rescued one and didn't realize it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus

Boxer Buddy
First, let me say all of this took place in 1991, prior to my internet access and the excellent information obtained from Boxerworld.
I never realized that I had rescued my Cookie until I started to read some of the threads. We had a male boxer, and a neighbor approached us one day and said that his sister had a female that she had to get rid of because she wasn't potty trained, barked too much and she would tear stuff up. We figured my male needed a playmate, so we went and got her. She was probably about 3 years old, very little flash fawn female. She looked awful! I felt so sorry for her when you compared her to my male. She had skin hanging all over and she probably didn't weigh but 45 pounds. Well, this is where things get interesting. Once she was showed love and attention and fed, it turns out she was potty trained, never once had an accident. She never tore anything up, but she did bark quite a bit. We also noticed that giving her food (Pedigree) vs Ol Roy which is what she was supposedly being fed, she started gaining weight (yes, I know, Pedigree and Ol' Roy). She got up to about 60+ pounds. She was a sweetheart, a very good natured loving boxer. However, if we got the mop or broom out, she was terrified of it. We can only assume that a mop or broom was used on her when she had her accidents in the house because they didn't bother to let her out! Needless to say, she was a wonderful girl that had a bad start. At least I know she lived a life of luxury (yes, we spoil our dogs) up until the end. We had her for almost 7 years before cancer took her from us. I realize I am wishing something impossible, but I wish people would not obtain dogs if they have no intention of properly taking care of them. :(
Even though I fed all three of them Pedigree, they lived to be 10, and two made it to 11 1/2.

TYS0NSM0MMA

Boxer Booster
thats great that you helped her and allowed her to be the great girl that she was! In terms of feeding there is far too much debate on that, my personal opinion is that no one who cares so much for their dog would knowingly feed it anything that would hurt it, if you chose pedigree and it worked and helped her to look great, it was the right choice. Don't feel any guilt about that at all.. she obviously loved you and cared for you and you for her. She probably wouldn't have made it if it wasnt for you, so feel proud and enjoy all the great memories you had with her.

Colly

marciafinn

Boxer Insane
I am glad to hear that Cookie found her way into your family. She just needed someone to show her the love and devotion you did to shine like the star she was! I know what you mean about the spoiling...all my babies are spoiled rotten but I'd never have it any other way! ;) I am sorry to hear of your loss but Cookie will remain in your heart forever. I am sure she repaid you in countless ways for rescueing her and moving her into the life of luxury. Thanks for sharing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.