I am pregnant - any advice re dogs & babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louby

Super Boxer
Hi Guys - I haven't been visiting much as I have been back to work (was off with a bad back). So nice to catch up on what everyone is doing with themselves.

I have some news I am pregnant and really chuffed. The only thing is me and my hubby are quite nervous about how Oscar will react to a skin baby. He is so very dominant and protective over us we are terrified that he will not accept a new family member.

The baby is due Feb next year so we have some time to try and sort out a few problems and it has been suggested to us to visit a behavourist with him. We so want everything to work out well and for them to love each other straight away, but we understand that these things sometimes take time. It is worrying us so much as Oscar means the world to us and we could not be without him in a million years.

We would really appreciate any advice you are willing to give.

Thanks so much guys x x x

jess

Boxer Booster
Everything will be fine. My baby just turned a year old and I was very nervous about how the dogs would do when we brought her home as they were and still are our firstborns. We have eight dogs now and at the time had nine all house pets and all very spoiled but at the same time they know their places in the pack with me being alpha hubby next Rachel the skin kid then Biscuit, the beagles and finally Gus the new rescue who has only been with us two weeks. You need to start preparing your dog now for all the changes about to come. Depending on where you live most areas have classes on how to prepare your pets for a new addition. If your dog knows it's loved they will usually except the new addition with no hassles mine still amaze me about how great they have been with Rachel. Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Barb_IA

Boxer Insane
Congratulations on your new baby to be. How excited you and your husband must be. I loved it when my children were younger. I'd give anything to have then 2 or 3 again, just for a day.
I'm sure that Oscar will love the baby just as you and your husband will. I think their senses are greater than we give them credit for. I have a day care in my home. My fur babies love the babies. Just have to watch them so they don't smother the babies with boxer kisses. hehehehe My cousins 8 mo. old has learned to put her hand in front of her face when she sees Lacey coming. It's so funny.

Louby

Super Boxer
Thank you all for your sound advice I have taken note and you have definately put my mind at rest. Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you x x x

Suanne

Boxer Pal
Here's a little something that we did when we brought our first skin baby home. Someone told us to bring home a blanket from the hospital, that the baby was wrapped in, to let our dog sniff, prior to bringing the baby home. Our male boxer, Bill, was not fond of kids at all. We did this and when we brought home our baby girl he loved her from day one. It was amazing. I'm sure they sense the pregnancy too. Bill would sit at my feet when I would nurse like he was protecting us. Never once did he even nip at our children. Just make sure you spread the love around and continue to make your fur baby feel like part of the family.
Congratulations!

Just include Oscar in everything--like diaper changing, feeding, etc. Whenever I used to change Royinas diaper or feed her, I always used to ask Draco to help me by just being there. And Draco turned out to be Royinas big over protective brother

Az Boxr Lovr

Boxer Insane
Hi. I had this same concern when my first daughter was born. At the time we had a crazy terrier. The advice given to us was to set up the nursery as soon as possibe. Also put out the high chair, swing etc. This way, the dog will have time to get used to it and explore it. Also, we brought home the baby cap that was on our daughter the first day. My husband set it down for the dog to smell. Lastly, and I think perhaps the most important info. was to have someone else carry the baby in the house when coming home from the hospital. (My mom carried the baby in) I got down on my knees and just showered the dog with attention and gave her treats. Everything worked out just great. Hopefully, some of these suggestions will help you. Oh, and congrats on the pregnancy. There is nothing better than being a mom IMHO.:D
Cheryl

Rowdy grew up with boys, but he knows that our baby is different and he'll give him an occaisional kiss, but he knows not to play with him yet. Noah just loves his puppy dogs. Rowdy walks beside Noah in the stroller.

Debc

Boxer Pal
We had 3 Boston Terriers when our babies were born, we have pictures of the dogs sleeping on the floor next to the babies. Our 2 year old Boxer, loves our nephew and it's mutual, we have gone out of our way to let her experience everyone, of all ages, besides getting alittle excited she does wonderful. We have some neighbor children that are afraid of her and all dogs, slowly they have started coming over and playing with her, their mother is so happy that they are not scared of her anymore. We don't crate her when people come over, if they are scared of her it's their problem!

Julie445

Super Boxer
I didn't have a Boxer when my children were born, our youngest was 3, but I did have a little chihauhua terrier cross. When we brought our daughter home and layed her on the bed Penny sniffed her and then tried to bury her with her little nose.
She had gone in her diaper on our way home and Penny wasn't impressed at all lol.
This may sound silly but maybe if you bought a lifelike doll and wrapped it in a blanket carried it around, Oscar would get use to it. You could sit down with him and say "nice baby" etc etc. When you fix up your baby room I would even place the doll in the crib. Just a thought anyhow. I find with Ozzy that if we see a small child I also use a really silly high voice and say "theres a little girl or theres a little boy" He gets so excited and his little tail just goes crazy. He has been introduced to 2 little girls of 2 yrs of age and just adores them. Congratulations and best wishes to you, hubby and Oscar :)

Status
Not open for further replies.