1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am Lisa and I am a failed foster

Discussion in 'Stories' started by LILYLARUE, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I joined a rescue group in April. One of the most rewarding and educational experiences of my life!

BUT ~ I have to now admit, I am a failure! Totally and completely! Why, you ask......Cause I am now a proud parent of not one, but TWO new dogs!!! My first foster, I couldn't wait to get rid of. He was a totally obsessive/compulsive pibble.

The second one, Mr. Smiley, well, was just too cool of a dog to let go of. He needed lots of guidance and support to build his confidence. So, I adopted him and continued to work on his mental stability. He's a really interesting looking boxer/pibble mix.

One month ago, I fostered Fozzy Bear. He is the sweetest, most adorable, gentle little boy, I can't let him go either! He has come so far in his rehab that I am afraid to send him off and have him revert back to his stray issues, or worse yet, shut down.

So, admission is the first step right? LOL

My goal was to foster non-boxers until I was ready to adopt another boxer, then I would rescue from a boxer rescue. Well, didn't get that far!

Yes, I am done fostering.....no more unless an emergency. I will be focusing more in the rescue part and transporting along with fundraising. I am dissappointed in myself, my goal was saving pibbles and rehabbing them to rehome. Sigh,... so I let myself down, let my rescue down cause I was one of few who wanted to foster big dogs, and the only one willing to do the pibbles.

I am not an animal hoarder......I am a failed foster!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

I've been waiting for this post :D. I could tell from the pictures I've seen that the boys were getting awfully comfortable. But, I will not cast stones - I only made it to foster #2 before keeping one (note - it was only one!).

Some rescues are happy when their foster homes adopt, others don't even allow it. My thinking is if it's the right fit, it's the right fit. There are plenty of other jobs to be done with rescue that don't involve fostering. You'll keep busy.

Welcome home to Mr Smiley & Fozzy Bear! YOu picked a good one :)

3. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

You are Lisa, a great puppy mom

LOL :LOL: A failed failed foster mommy but a great furkids mommy! :D
    Congratulations to your new family additions. I am happy for Mr Smiley and Fozzy bear, they found themselves a great new home!

4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Thanks Debbie, you weren't the only one expecting it. LOL But I sure was hoping to adopt one of your boxers!

When Mr. Smiley joined my home, it was amazing what he did for the pack. Totally calmed, relaxed. Then Fozzy Bear came and brought out the puppy in Mr. Smiley. It was like a chain of events that was meant to be!

A foster failure, yes........a pack leader of a very special pack, absolutely!

Is there a better home for either of them? Not as far as I'm concerned! LOL

5. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

Nothing better to fail at! It's why I can't foster yet...too many dogs, and too much risk I might keep one!! Must wait for bigger house...the daily prayer.

So glad two wonderful boys got a great mommy. :)

6. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Wanted to share some info that I received this weekend at a training conference:

I introduced myself to Patricia McConnell at a seminar ~ "Hi, I'm Lisa and I am a foster failure". After a little discussion about my lack of ability to give up my fosters due to behaviors that I felt would worsen with being rehomed and her reply was the most gratifying and relieving. She replied at our goodbye with this:

"You are not a failure of your emotions. You are compliant within the context of the moment."

Man, did that ever make me feel better!

Wanted to share to all those "foster failures" that may feel the same way as I had initially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.