1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Holistic care' started by Murphys Mom, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphys Mom

Murphys Mom Boxer Pal

My 3 year old, male Boxer was just recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Our Vet has prescribed Thyroxine at 0.5 mg 2x a day. I am interested in putting him on some sort of natural or Holistic remedy, does anyone have any suggestions? I have searched online and found a few products but I would feel much better before purchasing something 'random' if I first receive some feedback. Any information would be great! Thank you!

2. LilygirlCO

LilygirlCO Boxer Insane

I have heard that Norwegian Kelp is great for helping dogs with hypothyroidism. I'll try to find some articles for you ;)

3. Ozzie

Ozzie Super Boxer

I've also heard that kelp can help. Ozzie is in a similar predicament with hypothyroidism; he is also taking thyroxine.

I have a concern about prolonged use of thyroxine: In referencing Dr. Pitcairns book "natural care for dogs," he states that using the artificial hormone is not the best of ideas...

Ozzie is going to see a holistic veterinarian in a few days so I'm really looking forward to hearing the thoughts about thyroxine.

There are some natural products on the market; I just purchased one of them called Pet Alive thyroid assist.

Bob.

4. Murphys Mom

Murphys Mom Boxer Pal

Thank you for all of the feedback. I have heard of the Pet Alive products but didn't really have any one on one feedback about it.

I understand that whatever method I use, conventional or homeopathic, that it will be for the rest of his life. Since it is this sort of long term treatment I would much rather put him on something all natural/homeopathic.

I visited my local Whole Foods and I bought Thyroid Support, Vegetarian Formula made by NatraBio. It contains calcarea iodata, fucus vesiculosus, kali lodatum, calcarea carbonica, causticum, ferrum lodatum, natrum muriaticum. I am in the process of reasearching the ingredients to be on the safe side but if anyone has info...Thank you!!

5. Murphys Mom

Murphys Mom Boxer Pal

I will try the kelp as well. I saw some at the local pet supply store but it had some other ingredient, I don't recall what it was.

6. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Whatever route you go be sure to have his levels checked periodically to insure he is where he should be. Good luck

7. Thira's Mom

Thira's Mom Boxer Booster

Timberwolf Organics has kelp in their kibble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.