hyperactive

Status
Not open for further replies.

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
My boxer is about 12 weeks old. Can someone tell me if it is "normal" for her to be hyper? I have never had a puppy before and I'm a little concerned about this.

There are some nights that it is like someone feed her drugs or something. She bounces all over the house, running like a bat out of hell.

T

Tina-SCBR-NY

LOL....Better get use to it now. Boxers are very active dogs. They love nothing better than to play all day and bounce around. That's the greatest thing about boxers, they act like puppies until the day they go to the bridge!
My Dallas is 5 and she gets out there and bounces and races around the yard like my 1 year olds do. She doesn't last as long but she sure does try.

------------------
Proud momma of 3 boxer babies and 1 foster:
Dallas, F, Brindle 3/21/95
Dakota, M, Fawn 7/10/99
Missy, F, Brindle 8/7/99
And 1 Second Chance Foster dog
www.secondchanceboxer.com

lfunk

Boxer Pal
My 6 week male Tyson is hyper also. I learned a training tool to deal with it though. If you hold the puppy on its back and say "settle". If he doesn't settle then slowly increase your hold until the puppy settles and then praise him. Then once you can get him to easily lay on his back when you say settle then you can use the command for other things - Tyson is a little young for the command but I am pretty sure he understands - I am amazed of how smart he is sometimes.

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thank you. At least I know this is normal. I know my questions may seem strange at times but, I am trying to muffle my way through this. Thank God for this web site.

The other boxer I had experience with, was never this hyper. Granted she was older, but did not have spurts of energy like this one does.

anne

Boxer Buddy
Malinda ,Cassie is 11 wks today and is very hyper, my friend has a GSpup one week younger and it is a lot quieter she says my pups on speed. But she does sleep a good deal inbetween which is heaven.My older dog was never as hyper as a pup..(at least I don't remember)

------------------
mum to-
cassie flashy fawn boxer girl born 6/7/2000 natural ears and docked tail.
Tess cross/border collie born sept 1984
Jake the cat born 3/26/85

boxernutt

Boxer Pal
I had to laugh when you said this was your first puppy and you chose a boxer. I have had dogs all my life and through the puppy years. I still was amazed at the energy level of these dogs. So being your first pup they are a handfull.. But I have never had such good dogs and would have nothing else in the future. They are a lot of work, but what you get in return will exceed the effort trifold. To help get our two boxers on a schedule. We purposely exercise them at certain times. It is true they are usually bouncing off the walls or sleeping. So exercise the pup about 15 to 30 minutes prior to wanting them to relax and lay down a while. It will give you more control.. We would wear them out prior to bed time. and even if we knew we had company coming then they are much more relaxed. (As much as a boxer can be)Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

MajorMom

Boxer Booster
My trainer and I call them "puppy bursts". :) Your pup is probably at that age when they are common, like everyday. When Major gets in those moods I take him out back and throw a ball around, or a long walk, or play with the neighbor's dogs. That tires him out. Personally i think its so funny when they tear around like that, I wish I had that much energy sometimes! :D

------------------
Major-4/10/00, red fawn male, black mask, white bib, white paws, natural ears, docked, STINKER!http://www.geocities.com/janet_15851/my_page.html

Boxer Crazy

Boxer Booster
Yes, it is yet another boxer thing - although Keisha was very calm compared to Travis. Just last night I took him to his 3rd puppy obedience class and he was VERY hyper and distracted - just wanted to PLAY PLAY PLAY! He wasn't interested in paying attention to me at all. He was constantly pulling on his leash trying to play with the other puppies and was just out of control! Like you said it was like he was on drugs! Next time I think I will exercise him before I go so that he isn't quite so hyper. Thank goodnes that there were others there who were understanding and encouraging (and some going through the same things, although not as bad as Travis) so didn't feel so bad. But it was frustrating and a bit embarassing.

------------------
Keisha - March 8/98 - female plain brindle with cropped ears
Travis - May 14/00 - male flashy fawn with natural ears.
Sammie - approx 11 yr. F/S Beagle X
Riley - March 8/97 - F/S tri-color, long haired chihuahua

Status
Not open for further replies.